Chapter 50: Invasion Part V

In the remaining few minutes of sage mode Naruto devastated the Kumo shinobi. The speed and force of his attacks were devastating. This was Kage level power smashing through primarily chūnin opponents.

Sakura wasn't idle either. Her genjutsu was not used to distract opponents from her teammate's attack. Unlike with Darui these shinobi could not defend themselves against the Namikaze onslaught. Instead her techniques caused Kumo shinobi to fight each other.

Blood ran down the streets of Konoha as they killed scores of shinobi in the span of those few minutes. While senjutsu enhanced Naruto was the main killer his clones helped out significantly. Kumo's shinobi were perhaps fighting their worst possible opponent. Kenjutsu specialized shinobi lost to the clone's superior speed. Raiton ninjutsu was countered by the clone's Futon abilities. A massacre was occurring and with Darui defeated the attacking shinobi broke and ran.

The retreat wasn't an all-out flight. It was orderly and several brave Kumo nin stood defiantly to try to slow down the slaughter while their comrades ran. Naruto saw them off by creating another 50 clones and had them give chase.

Naruto felt clones pop from further within Konoha. He turned to Sakura and said, "Pervy sage is hurt and Ibiki has called the last of the reserves to help fend off the shinobi who burst through our central gate. They are our next target."

Sakura nodded and they were off to help another part of the battle field.

***BREAK***

The shinobi who had witnessed the death of their Raikage were shell shocked. Some were simply stunned into inaction. Others fell to their knees in despair. Konoha had taken away their Kage.

Tsunade marched out of the walls of Konoha and shouted out in a strong voice, "I am Tsunade Senju! Your most powerful shinobi has been killed. Hundreds if not thousands of your comrades are dead because of this foolhardy attack. Leave this land and you will live. Or you can face me and die!"

Her killing intent erupted. Her anger at the loss of a man who had a will of fire that had literally turned him to ashes gave strength to that killing intent. Some ran in terror while others froze, rooted in place. Most however simply backed away. Their Raikage was dead and one of the Sannin stood before them. Their other S class asset was on the other side of the battle field. Perhaps it was best to withdraw for now.

Orders were given and the Kumo shinobi backed away from Konoha as messages went out to the other parts of the battle field. As correspondence went back and forth it was soon learned that the entire left side of the attack on Konoha had been shattered. Darui was dead and Team Seven had arrived. Several of the jōnin tried to figure out who was still alive to take command now that the Raikage and his strong right arm were dust in the wind.

Atsui was one of the few of the Raikage's inner circle that was still alive and he was badly wounded. He was missing an arm and had lost a considerable amount of blood. He was aware enough to relay orders. It was time to retreat.

While they had been close to breaking Konoha they simply had no one left to reliably take on the likes of Tsunade or Naruto. Numbers were still technically in their favor but casualties had been atrocious. More than half of the shinobi who had come to destroy Konohagakure were dead. The sun had set and in the darkness the Kumo shinobi slinked away like beaten dogs, utterly demoralized and defeated.

***BREAK***

Samui had marched her army and would strike at the Fire Daimyo's seat of power on that very night. Another night of treachery, betrayal and further losses would only weaken them. Hundreds of shinobi would not be able to participate in the fight and over a thousand of the Lightning Daimyo's soldiers were in the same situation.