Chapter 1

Chapter 1

"Jay, can you take me home?" I was in the back of my boyfriend's pickup truck in a meadow looking up at the stars. I snuck out of my house two hours ago.

"Awh Sadie. Don't be like that. It's our three week anniversary. C'mon baby, you know I love you." Jay was the star quarterback. I was the quiet girl who volunteers at the library in my spare time. Imagine my surprise when Jay asked me out.

"Jay, you know we're not gonna... do anything, right?" It's only been three weeks. I am not about to do something that I'll regret. I'm quiet, not stupid.

Jay's face changed. The once charming, kind, sensitive soul, turned ugly. "Do you like leading me on? I wasted three weeks on you, and you won't even give it up? It's not like you're pretty or anything, but the guys were gonna give me fifty dollars for nailing you." He spat at me as tears welled up in my eyes. I was just part of a bet?

"Take me home, Jay." I said, tears falling down my face.

"No, m'am. Only people who put out get to ride in my truck. In fact, get out. I have school in the mornin' and you just wasted my night." Jay stood up, and jumped out of the bed of his truck. I followed. He got in the truck and drove away. just like that, as if I never mattered.

I walked home alone in the darkness of the night.

One Year Later

"Sadie, hun, wake up, sweetie." My mother's gentle voice softly woke me up. I wanted to scream. She has treated me like I was so fragile, like I could break any second since Jay.

After, walking in the dark that night, I entered my house where my parents were both awake and very angry. They took one look at my smeared mascara and bloodshot eyes and demanded to know what happened. I told them everything.

The next day at school, Jay told everyone that I jumped into bed with him. He said that I was desperate. He also announced to the lunchroom, that he dumped me. Then he made out with the girl next to him in front of everyone. I can't believe I liked him.

Now, I have one friend, the bestest friend anyone could ever ask for, and that's good enough for me. Everyone else ignores me or insults me. Jay and his friends are the worst. Despite my classmates, what happened with Jay has only made me stronger. I found out who my true friends (or in my case: friend as in singular) were. I wish my mother would understand that. She still thinks I'm gonna kill myself or something.

I can't complain. She loves me. She is just a bit overbearing at times.

"Hi, Mom." I smiled at her. I hate going to school, but I get up everyday just so she doesn't stress. "I'm gonna go get dressed." I sat up and hugged her. She wiped away a tear from her cheek, and exited the room. She's like this every morning.

***

An hour and a half later, I was in my car driving to school. I pulled into the parking lot exactly three minutes before the first bell. If I got here any earlier, I would get tormented, so I always pull up as everyone is scrambling to get to class.

On my locker there is a note that calls me a slut, but I just crumble it up and toss it in the trash a few feet away. "I am immune." I tell myself, trying to believe it.

Jay and his group of bumbling jocks rounded the corner. "Hey it's Slutty Sadie!" Jay wrapped one of his huge arms around my shoulder. "Sorry, Babe." He announces loudly. "I don't get off on desperation." His friends laughed.

"Just leave me alone." I push passed the mocking crowd and started down the hall.

"Sadie!" My best friend, Jillan, pushed through the jocks. She's a former cheerleader. She quit when she heard the cheerleaders planning a prank on me. She's a blonde bombshell. She was very popular, but she gave it up as soon as she saw that they were going to post photo shopped pictures of me all around school.