21} School

Bethany clutched her books to her chest, hair falling over her eyes. Glancing down at her feet, she wriggled her toes inside the warm leather of her school shoes.

"Heya, Bethie!" someone suddenly screamed in her ear, freaking her out to the point she almost dropped all the contents in her arms. Glaring up at her best friend, Carla, she said, "Geez. You scared me."

"Sorry," Carla said, laughing, "But I need you to talk to me. Something's wrong. I can tell."

"I'm fine."

"I can tell you're lying! I can tell you're lying!" Carla cried in a sing-song voice, dancing around Bethany, who narrowed her eyes. "Shut up."

"Missy has an attitude!" Carla tutted, smiling at Bethany. Instead of smiling back, she just sighed and turned her back on Carla. "Leave me alone, okay?"

Carla was silent for a minute, face furrowed. Bethany continued walking, still gazing down at her shoes. Carla eventually caught up with her, but she didn't press to get any more information.

Bring!

"Bye. I have class now."

----

"Lachlan... Leave me alone."

"Come on dude. Tell me~" Lachlan said, dragging his backpack over his shoulder more securely.  "Shut up," Alex replied, pulling his school jacket's hood over his face. He continued walking away from Lachlan, not speaking a word.

"Did you two have a fight?" Lachlan asked him, catching up. "You two?" Alex questioned, still not looking up but clenching his hands into tight fists.

"Yeah, you two. You and Bethanae," Lachlan said, grinning. Alex stopped walking, and took a deep breath. "No. We didn't. We're fine. Why would you think that?" he responded, squeezing his fists tighter.

"You don't seem like you two are fine."

"We're fine! Leave me alone, okay!" Alex suddenly screamed at Lachlan, whipping around, causing Lachlan to take a step back and throw his hands up. "Woah. Okay then. I'll go..."

Breathing heavily, Alex placed his head in his hands. He slowly sank down to the floor in front of his locker, shaking his head.

"Why the hell am I even acting like this? What's wrong with me?"