Chapter 1: What's Wrong

Still third pov

The knights were trainings like always and Merlin was watching like always. Today though something seemed off with Merlin.

Arthur didn't get his usual insults from Merlin and there was no 'rise and shine' from him. And he was doing his jib in silence. That's what Arthur notice at least.

For Gwaine, when he said hi to Merlin, all Merlin said back was hi. This was unusual because usually he'd complain about some ridiculous chore Arthur gave him or something. No though. He just went on his way. Not to mention his usual smile wasn't as bright.

Merlin just sat there though watching and waiting for it to get done or be used as a target. In his mind though he was sad, very sad. It's the week of Freya's death which was just a year ago. He loved Freya and couldn't fully get over her death and never would.

When training was finally over, he picked up the stuff and carried it back to the armory. Gwaine followed and intended to find out what was wrong with him.

Merlin's pov

I get to the armory and notice Gwaine watching over me. I wonder why but I also have a feeling that I'm going to find out. He says, "So Merlin buddy, what's going on?" (Okay. How bad is this personation of Gwaine. Be brutally honest.)

"Not much. I mean the same thing happens everyday. Arthur has me doing some ridiculous chores like always and I have to do them. Not mention saving his life while doing so." I mumble the last part so Gwaine doesn't actually hear it.

"Okay. What's wrong?"

"Nothing's wrong. I'm the same old Merlin I always am. See." and I give him one of my usual smiles. I can tell he doesn't buy it though.

"Merlin. You can tell me. I'm you friend."

"There is nothing wrong, Gwaine. Let it go." I say and walk off to Arthur's chambers.

I get to Arthur's chambers and instantly regret it because as soon as I step inside he goes, "Okay. What is it?"

"Nothing. What makes you assumed something is wrong?"

"You're acting funny, Merlin."

"Okay. What game are you and Gwaine up to?"

"Who said anything about Gwaine? There is no game. What's wrong?"

"Well, both you and Gwaine are asking me what's wrong today when there is clearly nothing wrong. I figured you two were trying to pull something on me."

"No, Merlin. But if nothing is wrong, you need to polish my boots and armor, prepare my dinner, and clean my room."

"Yes, sire." I say with a little irritation in my voice.

Arthurs pov

"Yes, sire." Merlin says with what sounds like to be irritation. He's definitely acting strange lately. He also said that Gwaine noticed it too. Maybe we could team up together to find out what's been troubling Merlin.

I walk down to Gwaine's chambers. He is in bed probably sleeping off some alcohol or something.

Anyways I walk over to him and splash a bucket of water on to his head. He shoots straight up and says, "Why'd you do that for, princess?"

"Because you were asleep." I say with a smirk.

"Well you didn't have to pour water all over me. Did you?"

"What fun would it be if I didn't?"

"Merlin is right you really are a prat."

"Speaking of Merlin, he says that you've also noticed something off with him lately. Mind to help me find out what?"

"Sure, princess."

"Okay. You, me, and him are going on a 'hunting' trip tomorrow. When we're deep in the forest, we'll get him to tell us what's up."

"Okay. Sounds good."

With that I leave his chambers to go to my own and get a good nights sleep. Tomorrow should be fun.