Chapter 2: I'm his Best Friend

Merlin's pov

We're deep forest when Arthur suddenly calls us to a stop. He says, "We'll stay here for the night and pick back up tomorrow morning." 

I thought this was weird since we clearly since had at least two hours of daylight left. So I say, "Are you sure. I mean there's still plenty of time left today to go a little farther."

"No, No. This will do just fine." We get off our horses and start to set up camp. Well, I should say I started to set up camp. The other two aren't much help and I won't even dare let them around the fire much less the food. I mean did you see Arthur trying to cook chicken for Gwen. It was pathetic. Anyways, once camp is set up, Arthur says, "Okay, Merlin. There is no more use hiding it anymore. What is wrong with you lately? The last few days you've been usually mopey."

"Nothing is wrong. I promise you that." I say and now realize why it's only the three of is out here.

Gwaine decides to pitch by saying, "Merlin. Come you can tell us. We're your friends and I'm your best friend. You can trust me."

Arthur looks a little offended and says, "Excuse you. Your his best friend? I don't think so."

Gwaine replies with, "Well. Of course you don't. You don't think."

"I'm his best friend." Arthur said seeming a little pissed off now.

"Yeah, keep telling yourself that, princess." Gwaine says while stretching out the word princess.

"Gwaine. You can't address me like that. I'm your king." Arthur says.

I personally think this is getting funny and start to chuckle a little. I mean it's definitely better than them trying to pry out information about what's wrong with me.

Arthur looks at me and says, "What you laughing about?"

"Oh. Nothing, sire. Continue on." I say and like that he turns his attention back to Gwaine. It's kind of funny. You know they could just ask me but hey, I like this better.

"Oh. Looks like the great King Arthur is a little jealous now. Doesn't it?" Gwaine says with sass and a giant smirk on his face.

"I'm not jealous, just trying to set things straight is all."

"I thought kings and servants couldn't be friends?" Gwaine asks like he just won.

"I said nothing about best friends. Did I now?" Arthur says getting a little cocky but hey, that's Arthur for you.

"So you admit that I'm your best friend?" I just had to. You get it right?

"Yes. And your the best friend a person can have." He says to me. Then he turns back to Gwaine and says, "The only reason you're a knight is because of Merlin. If it wasn't for him, you'd still be banished."

"Yeah. The only reason I helped you was because of Merlin. If it wasn't for him, your kingdom would be at Morgana despair."

Okay. I don't know how it turned to this but it's still funny to me. I mean I'm standing right here. They could literally just ask me who my best friend is.

Arthur replies to Gwaine with, "Well, aren't you so special?"

Gwaine sassily replies with, "Yes, yes I am. And Merlin really is right you're a prat. In fact, your name should be Arthur Pratdragon. (Sorry, I had to. I haven't seen anybody else do it yet and I think it's a golden use of pun.)"

"You know what I didn't come here to fight. I'm going to bed. Merlin go to bed too. That's an order."

I gladly go to bed because I'm really tired but I hope this continues tomorrow. Gwaine lies next to me though and Arthur does on the other side. I'm like a sandwich.

Arthur's pov

I don't know who Gwaine thinks he is calling me a Pratdragon. I mean 'prat' isn't even his word. It's Merlin's. He can't just go stealing Merlin's words like that.

I make sure that I'm right next to Merlin when I go to sleep. I want to be close to Merlin as possible right with Gwaine being all 'I'm his best friend' when clearly I am.

I do notice though that Gwaine just laid on the other side of Merlin. This really got my blood boiling but all I could do right is scoot closer to Merlin.

Gwaine's pov

I really have no clue who Arthur thinks he is. He think that his Merlin's best friend when all he does is calling him names and gives him ridiculous chores to do. Like he can't even dress himself; he makes Merlin do it.

I see that Arthur laid down next to Merlin so I decided to just go lay on the other side. Then I noticed that Arthur scooted close so I did too. I mean I'm not going to let him win that easy. Psh, no way.