Chapter seventeen; Travesty

"Caitlin, you need to get up. Now." I'm awoken by my mother's piercingly high, stern voice. Peeping through a little gap between my pillow, and mattress, I read the time displayed on my clock as 7:21am. Why the fuck is she waking me up this early on a Saturday?

"Did I stutter?" She begins again, "Get out of bed, now. I wont tell you again." She's not even supposed to be home. Why is she here? She's supposed to be in Costa Rica, working with the president. Despite my confusion, I get out of bed, ignoring any interaction with my mum and head straight to my bathroom to shower.

After my shower, I peer out of the cracked bathroom door and make sure the coast is clear before walking into my room and locking the door. I can hear my mum talking to someone in the kitchen, the stranger's voice being manly, and unfamiliar. My curiosity getting the best of me, I slip on a jumper, and a pair of soffee shorts and make my way down to the kitchen. Once I see the framiliar dark, spiked hair, I freeze.

"Hello, darling." No. This cant be happening. Not again. This man ruined my life. He ruined my chances if being on the swim team. He has ruined everything he has ever come into contact with and now he's sitting at the island in my kitchen, drinking coffee as if he lives here.

"Caitlin, do you know who this is?" My mother asks me. Of course I know who it is. I want to scream at him and tell him to get the fuck out, but I can't. I have no voice. I cant even respond to my mother using words, so I just nod.

"Im sorry, I shouldnt be here. Ill just go." He speaks up, noticing the stage of distress he's puting me through.

"No, Jackson, you have to tell her." Tell me what? What could this man possibly have to say to me?

"I wanted to apologize... For everything. For leaving you, and your mother. I was a terrible father to you and-"

"No." I cut him off, finally finding my voice. "You weren't a terrible father. You weren't even a father. You were a disappointment, and you still are. You're a mistake, and a source of mass destruction. Don't try to apologize to me, or to mum. The only thing you ever did for either of us was tear us down, and break us. I dont need you, I havent needed you for a very, very long time, and I wont ever need you again. So, save your breath and just leave."

"Oh, hun. Don't worry. I'm not here for you, or for your mother. I'm here for James, and his mother." James? Who the fuck is James? The only James I know is Danielle's ex. What's his last name? 

"Grant" he adds. Of course. How could I have not seen it before? My father is James Grant's Father... that means James is my... my brother. Oh my god. In the midst of trying to take in this newfound discovery, my phone starts buzzing uncontrollably in my hand, "Kasey" flashing across my screen. I swipe my thumb to the right to answer the call.

"Hey, Kas. Now's not really a good time."

"D-Dani... She- she's been hurt..." the sobbing, stuttering voice of one of my closest friends takes me by surprise, and next thing I know, im in my car, speeding to the hospital.