Part 9

4 more days had passed and they had finally concluded that Romeo had regained enough magic power that he would be able to allow himself to heal while awake. Wendy sat over his body, slowly lifting the sleep spell that she had tirelessly kept over him. A chair was slid behind Wendy as large hands pressed lightly on her shoulders.

"Sit," Gajeel ordered as he pushed it in closer to the bed so that she could continue her work on Romeo.

"Thnk you," Wendy says quietly, a yawn escaping her lips as she continued to wake him slowly.

"Wendy you should really take a break you now, you've been using your magic endlessly all week, you only went home once."

"No, he had to be awake first," Wendy says as she looked down at his peaceful face. Wendy had no time to grieve his injuries during the whole fiasco. She had been working endlessly on everybody's injuries, not that she minded, but it had been rough on it. Wendy had wanted to stand by his side through the whole ordeal, she wanted to be able to comfort him, wipe his sweat that drenched his face as he had the occasional night terror. She couldn;t stand how she had let this happen to him. Sometimes the rest of the guild forgot that she had the same dragon instincts as the rest of the dragon slayers. she was just as protective of what was hers, and the blue earring filled with her swirling magic that adorned his newly pierced ear was proof of that.

"Wendy..," Gajeel said as he squeezed the young dragon slayers shoulder. He recognized the look that she had in her eyes, he had the same look for the entirety of when Levy was unconscious and she couldn't stand to see it in such a young and innocent face.

"Don't blame yourself kid, there's nothin' that any of us could have done to stop this and you know it's true."

"I know Gajeel, it's just that...I need him to wake up..I need him to be okay." Wendy leaned over and ran her finger along his cheek, only to jump when he groaned and leaned into her touch.

"Romeo?.." Wendy asked quietly leaning in a bit closer.

"The very same.." He croaked, laughing quietly. Gajeel snickered quietly, raising his hands in defense when Wendy shot him a glare that could have rivaled levy's when he dropped one of her books. Gajeel stood and left quickly before Wendy turned her attention to Romeo once again.

"How are you feeling?" Wendy asked nervously as she wrung her hands in her lap.

"Wendy I'm fine," Romeo says with a smile as he sat up slowly, wincing slightly as he did.

"Romeo you might not want to-" She was quickly cut off by a quick kiss.

"Wendy for the love of Mavis stop worrying about me. I'm more worried about you," he says as he holds her hand, squeezing it slightly.

"Worried about me?" She asks curiously, knowing that he was the one who had been in danger.

"I can tell that you haven't slept in days," He says with a shake of his head before a smirk crosses his face. Romeo grabs her arm before pulling her into bed with her, earning a squeal from the small girl.

"Romeo!" She squealed, giggling as he wrapped his arms around her endearingly.

"Hush, you need sleep and I've missed you," He says as he pulls her close.

"Romeo I'm supposed to check on the rest of the injuries everyone has.." She wines, a yawn interrupting her complaints about a minute.

"Wendy. Sleep," Romeo says sternly as he closes his eyes, his voice getting deeper as he becomes sleepy.

"Fine. Just for-" Another yawn interrupts her. "-a little bit."

Wendy fell asleep as soon as she relaxed, snuggling into Romeo's arms as she enjoyed the feel of his steady breaths against her back, the steady beat of his heartbeat music to her ears. All was now well in the guild. All the dragon slayers and their mates were safe and sound, none sustaining any serious injuries. Wendy was now finally able to sleep in peace for the first time in a long time.