11

I sigh tiredly as I slide my textbook into my locker and slam it shut. There's a girl standing right beside me, making me jump.

"Um, hi," I say, clicking the lock shut. 

"Hi," she says cooly. It's Sam's friend - Trina, I think her name was. She has thick glasses and dark hair pulled back in a tight braid, and she's wearing a pink sweater that looks itchy. 

"We need to talk," she says.

"Okay." To be honest, I'm a little scared of her. I feel like she's the type of person that would make someone cry for fun. But maybe I'm just being dramatic.

"You need to stop distracting Sam."

"What?"

"You heard me." She crosses her arms and raises her eyebrows. "I know you two have been friends lately, or whatever. But he hasn't been working as hard on his academics. So I think you should back off."

I frown. "I don't -"

"Listen, pretty boy." Pretty boy? "Sam would never admit this, but he's pretty much a genius. And he's missing the opportunities for scholarships because he's spending all his time with you."

"We're just - he's just tutoring me."

"Well, it's taking up a lot of time. Look, if you're really friends with him, you'll leave him alone for awhile and let him work. That's all I'm saying." Trina shrugs and brushes past me, her flats clicking on the floor, and I'm left standing at my locker alone. I take a deep breath and head for the cafeteria. 

~

My family starts to notice.

"It's been a few days since Sam has been over," says Mom casually one night, scrubbing a pot in the sink.

"He has to study more," I say. "You know, he's really smart. And I've been getting busier with hockey anyway."

"I want to play with Sam," says Hailey. She's sitting at the dinner table, swinging her legs, drawing a picture of something for homework. 

"Yeah, well, you can play with him soon," I say. "Just drop it, okay?"

Mom raises her eyebrows and I go to my room. I can study math by myself. Besides, I get it. Sam needs to work on his stuff, not easy problems with me. I put on my headphones and flip through my math textbook, pretending to know what I'm doing.

We have our first snow day. Hailey runs to my bedroom and wakes me up, shouting in my ear. My family follows very strict protocols on snow days. First, Veronica makes everyone pancakes. For someone that likes cereal so much, she's a very good pancake maker. Then we all get dressed and make a snowman in the yard. Then we sit on the couch and watch a movie and Mom makes hot chocolate.

During the movie, Paul comes over. He shakes the snow off his coat in the front hall as Veronica  kisses him.

"Gross!" says Hailey, who's leaning against me. We're sharing her favorite, fluffy pink blanket. "That's gross!"

"Shh," I say. "You're so loud. Drink your hot chocolate."

"But my marshmallows melted."

"Well, there's more in the kitchen."

"I don't want to get up."

"Then you don't get more marshmallows."

She pouts. "Life isn't fair."

"You got it." I glance over my shoulder at Paul and Veronica, who are moving into get-a-room territory. Does he really have to be here? It's a snow day, people.

Mom is looking at me. 

"What?" I ask.

"Do you want to invite Sam over?" she says softly. I know what she's thinking. Paul is no Sam.

"Yeah!" says Hailey.

"Maybe later," I say. I haven't forgotten what Trina said. And I know she's right. 

~

Even though school was cancelled, practice isn't, and I pick up Ethan like always. He shivers in the passenger seat, banging his hand against the air vents. 

"Dumb car," he mutters.

"Hey!" I say. "Don't talk to her like that."

He laughs and rubs his gloved hands together. "Anyway, guess who I asked on a date?"

"Lacy?"

"Yup." He grins. "We're going to the movies this weekend."

"That's great."

"'That's great'? Dude, that's awesome! Have you seen her? She's so hot!"

"What movie are you seeing?"

"What - dude! You're asking the wrong questions."

"Sorry. What should I be asking?"

He squints at me. "Are you okay?"

"What? I'm fine!" He tries to stare me down, but I look over my shoulder as I merge lanes. Always check your blind spot, people.

"You seem like, mad."

"No, I'm not mad! I'm just tired. Lacy is great. Probably. Again, don't really know her."

"Are you sad?" Ethan grins and punches my shoulder. "Aw, are you sad about something, poor baby Cameron?"

"Shut up." I roll my eyes. "I'm just tired. Practice will be hard today."

"Yeah, okay. Blame it on practice."

"I'm serious. Coach got mad at us for goofing off yesterday."

"Uh huh." Ethan smirks like he knows all about me. Sometimes, I don't think he knows me at all.

~

I was right. Practice is hard. But I kind of like it. I don't feel like talking to anyone. I just want to shoot. Maybe I am mad about something.