Chapter I: Descent

Every day started with the same drowsy sequence. Get up at six, get dressed. Stare at my plain features in the mirror, head downstairs. Eat breakfast, pretend my parents cared that I existed. Go to school, ghost through the hallways and remain ignored. Return home, eat, do homework, sleep. Got to church on Sunday. Repeat. An endless loop forever running, nothing changed but the steady progression of time. People got older, fell in love, ended up broken and did it all over again. It was strange to someone like me, staring in from the outside. 

It was almost as if my life was on auto pilot, and I was always half asleep. However that all changed one day, in November.

I was on my way back from school, the air had a bite to it, the first signs of fall, and there was a light rain falling. An overcast sky and trees that burned all shades of red, orange, and purple stood out against the wet concrete buildings. The sun was already low in the sky casting long shadows across the street, and few people were out and about at this time. Even less considering the weather.

As I passed a particular alleyway, the hairs on the back of my neck stood up. I had the unmistakable sensation of being watched. As I peered into the dim alley, I made out three figures. One stepped into the light and we stared at each other for what felt like ages. He seemed to be around my age and was of average height. 

He had short red hair, and his skin was very pale. Although he appeared slim he didn't at all seem to be weak. The two beside him remained hidden in the shadows, although one was slightly shorter than the boy, and the other was significantly taller, and much more muscular. His green eyes seemed to burn with an unnatural intensity. As if they glowed in the darkness.

Just then a raindrop hit my glasses and obscured my vision. I quickly wiped the water off my glasses, however when I looked back into the alley, no one was there. "Must be my imagination.." I muttered to myself, trying to find a rational explanation for the figure's sudden disappearance. The entire walk home, I still felt that I was being watched, and if I turned around fast enough, I'd be able to catch someone or something lurking in the shadows. 

I finally made it home and to the safety of my room. The night drew to a close with the same dull exchanges with my parents. Grades, church, and finally making sure that I'll behave. Normally I'm left to my own devices, however they had made it clear once I turned thirteen, that being gay was certainly not an option for such a god fearing family. At the age of sixteen, I wasn't quite ready to be disowned just yet.

However, because my parents gave me a large amount of freedom, my laptop was my safe haven. Several tabs full of LGBT chat-rooms and forums occupied my computer. Even a few image boards, seeing as I was a teenager after all and there are just some things you don't deny yourself. What? You're not exactly a saint either. Don't lie.

Time slowly slipped through my fingers as I lost myself in an online world where I could be myself, free of grades, and free of pressure. However, it was just after my parents had told me to get to bed. As it was eleven at night and I had school tomorrow, that the feeling of being watched returned.

There was only one place said person could be watching from assuming they weren't in my room. The window. Against my better judgement, I slowly crept towards the window and peered out into the darkness. I nearly fell backward in shock as I found the same green eyes staring back at me from a tree positioned just under my window. We didn't move for the longest time as he just sat there in the rain. I blinked, and just like that, he was gone. "What the hell is going on.." I whispered to myself, my heartbeat beginning to elevate. 

Shaking my head, I walked out of my room and into the bathroom. After I splashed water onto my face several times I felt like I finally had a grip on reality. As I gazed into the mirror, I took stock of my appearance. Short light brown hair, glasses, and dull green eyes. Pale skin thanks to my aversion to going outdoors, and thin as a twig. I was nothing short of unimpressive. Sighing, I returned to my room and turned out the light. After crawling under my bed sheets, I fell into an uneasy sleep. Plagued by all manner of nightmare, I didn't sleep well. Even much so when I slept through my alarm, and woke to my father shouting my name.

I jolted awake at the sound of his bellows, out of habit I checked the digital clock on my nightstand. Eight thirty in the morning. I was thirty minutes late for school, however that wasn't the worst of it. My father stood in the center of my room, with my laptop in his hands. "What is this! What the fuck is this!" He shouted, gesturing angrily to all of my open tabs. The blood immediately drained from my face. I had forgotten to close and shutdown my laptop.

"D-dad I can explain!" I said, my voice cracking towards the end of my statement. "You can fucking explain? Really? After everything your mother and I have gone through to raise you. This is how you repay us?!" He screamed, angrily gesturing to my laptop. "It's not what it looks likes jus-" I tried to speak however he quickly cut me off. "Not what it looks like huh! To me, it looks like my son is a faggot, who will burn in hell for his sins!" He shouted and then threw my laptop into my bedroom wall. The laptop shattered on impact, I barely had time to react before he was stomping across the room. 

"Dad, Plea-" the words died in my throat as I was lifted off my bed and into the air by the throat. "Shut the fuck up you disgrace!" He screamed into my face, his spittle spattered across my face. I was choking as he held me in the air. One moment I couldn't breath, and the next my back had collided with the wall on the other side of the room.

---Authors Note--- 

Lil project of mine. We'll see how well this does >:3

Wattys or bust!

Vote, Comment, Follow!