CHAPTER 2

"I knew you would enjoy it," Jehudi smiled. She had spent the last thirty minutes or so listening to her daughter ranting on and on about the meeting, while her chokla stood by the door, head bowed.

"Yes, as usual mother, you are always right," Gem mused grinning from ear to ear. Her mother had been awaiting her return from the meeting and had refused to leave until Gem ranted on and on.

She was not disappointed, contrary to what she thought. Instead she had basically been the center of attention. Questions were directed her way and she answered them with intelligence she thought she lacked.

"Why thank you, I am," Jehudi smiled before getting up from the chair she had pulled up, after deciding to avoid the bed for fear that her daughter with all her excitement would bounce her off the bed. She pecked her daughter on the cheeks before wishing her a good night.

She nodded curtly to acknowledge Riblah's presence in the room. She still did not like her, not one bit. Especially after the rosewood incident.

"Good night my Queen!" Riblah bowed as she left the room, deep red gown trailing behind her majesty. Then waited for a few minutes before poking her head out the door to make sure she had left Gemariah's wing.

After she was certain Queen Jehudi had left, she put up a shoda, and locked the doors before jumping on the bed and squealing loudly.

"I know right!" Gem asked then squealed loudly, "rrahhhh!" she shouted along side Riblah.

"Did you see Baruch's face? He definitely noticed me." Riblah said excitedly, already dreaming of her two children and a nice little cottage by the sea.

"I did, I really did," Gem rushed before asking, "did you see Gedaliah? He could not take his eyes off of me, I swear I felt his eyes on me throughout the meeting," she boasted.

"Yes, Gedaliah is hooked," Riblah replied sourly, ignoring her dismissal, after all she was used to it. Twenty years with the young princess had taught her a whole lot, and one of those things was her manner of turning things around to herself. She did not do it on purpose, it was just built in her person.

"So, did Baruch still..." Gem trailed off, rolling her hands for Riblah to continue, "you know?" she coaxed.

"Know what?" Riblah asked, confused at her odd behaviour.

"Ask you to be his bride?"

"Oh," her face fell and she sighed loudly. "No. And if you were not too busy giving Gedaliah googly eyes, you would have noticed Gabrielle, the daughter of the Chanson royal family wearing a blue sash, and not just any blue sash, a royal blue sash!" Riblah spat bitterly.

"So?" Gem asked, left eyebrow raised, seeing no reason as to why a pretty girl could not wear a blue sash.

"Ugh!" Riblah slapped her right palm to her forehead before falling face down on the bed.

"I forgot!" She exclaimed, "you were not around during the first few meetings, one of the ways to ascertain your bride is to give her the colour of your household, its mostly for Royal family's and rich men, we peasants or commoners cannot afford to have a family colour." She finished before sitting up and staring at Gem.

"I'm still not following," she retorted.

"Silly you! Present a piece of clothing or just about anything with the royal colour of your family to the lady or man that catches your fancy, and if it is accepted, then your courting has begun," Riblah finished.

"Oh," Gem said as realisation dawned on her, she had collected two articles from two people. "Erm riblah?"

"Yes,"