I. Hoppy and the Mysterious Self-Conducting Train

1

I found myself at the very front of the train, the place where the conductor should be driving the damn thing, gaping at the empty space. My thoughts raced from whether the conductor was actually taking a break, in the bathroom perhaps, or if there was no conductor at all.

I watched continuously and decided to search the room before coming to the conclusion that there was no conductor whatsoever. The controls moved all on their own and I had the faintest feeling that this train, the Hogwarts Express, was nothing like other trains I had been on, but more like Dad's fascination with remote-controlled trains.

The Hogwarts Express, was large and filled with quite a lot of students. My parents had both warned me to not be shy while searching for a compartment... "The sooner you make friends, the sooner that compartment will be yours for the next three years!" Mum had claimed ever so proudly with her eyes glistening. I hadn't known what to say except thank you, and continued to say goodbye to them before rushing on to the train. I didn't care much for where I sat but holy Holyhead Harpies was I nervous to be on my own to find a train compartment.

I had roamed the corridors aimlessly—after having put my luggage in an unclaimed cabin— eventually and accidentally ending up at the Engineer's Cabin. After finding nothing of importance, I decided to remove myself from the area, suddenly not feeling too good about the fact that the entire train was controlled by magic.

Scouring the halls, I aimed to find my compartment again, but I became side-tracked by the trolley-woman who was aiming for people to buy her sweets. I, of course, bought myself a few chocolate frogs, steered clear of the Bertie Bott's Every Flavoured Beans, glacial snow flakes, licorice wands, and some treacle fudge. Buying my sweets, I continued on my way to find my compartment which was the very last one. When reaching the doors where I could see my luggage sitting on a shelf, I entered quickly, surprised to see three other similarly surprised faces looking back at me and a bemused smile on the face of another.

My cheeks flushed a bright red, as they often did, and I mumbled a quick apology. "Sorry for intruding, but I put my stuff here before I went wandering."

One of the compartment's entertainers smiled happily at me. "No worries, come join us. We were wondering who that luggage belonged to." She had the most fiery red hair I had ever seen, and my best friend was a well-known ginger.

I took a seat that was distanced between the compartment's companions and let my candies spill beside me.

The red-haired girl continued speaking. "My name's Ginny Weasley. And you are...?"

I looked at her with a sheepish smile crossing my lips, "Hope Reid, but my friends back home call me Hoppy."

Ginny smiled brightly. "Where are you from, Hoppy?"

I shrugged. "Well, for most of my life I grew up living between Ireland, Scotland, and the States. My mum was from the States but had a very strong Irish heritage while my dad was born and raised in Scotland. He's a Scot through and through. I've been living in the States for the past five-ish years now, since I was nine."

I wasn't too fond of being the center of attention but I didn't mind explaining the little bit of background to these new people.

"Are you new to Hogwarts? You don't look eleven..." The darker haired boy across from me asked and Ginny elbowed him in the side.

I laughed. "No, I'm fifteen."

"What year will you be in?" Ginny asked, a hopeful look in her eyes.

I smiled softly, "Fifth, I think. At least, that's what Professor McGonagall said in my letter."

"Where did you go before here?" the blond boy asked and I smiled softly at him.