Part 7

Taehyung had returned to school as he'd promised, yet it felt as if he was still gone. He dodged you in any way he could: jumping into conversation with random people, detouring on his way to class, even slipping into the men's restroom.
It left you empty. You couldn't talk to Jungkook during school because of Jimin's ridiculous rule. You couldn't talk to Jimin because he was always busy with his baseball friends. He was also your brother and talking to him because you didn't have anyone else to talk to would be lame. You were determined to not reach that low of a point.
Overall, one question was swirling inside of you, creating a hot, uncomfortable lump in your throat. What could you possibly have done to make your best friend avoid you?
At the end of the week, you were determined to make Taehyung speak to you again. You cornered him at his locker on Friday, slamming the door shut and leaning against it.
"Spill."
Taehyung blushed, looking down and busying himself with his backpack. You sighed, tapping your foot to let him know you weren't leaving until you got an answer. Still, he delayed answering you.
"Taehyung, please speak to me. I miss you," you said quietly, trying your best to swallow the lump that had been in your throat since he'd returned. Best friends weren't supposed to treat each other like this. But... what if he didn't want to be your friend anymore?
Finally, Taehyung looked up at you. He looked uncomfortable.
"Did you know- did you know you buttdialed me? And- and I heard- well I mean I heard..." Taehyung started, trailing off and blushing a deep crimson.
Your eyes widened.
"Oh my God... Taehyung I'm so sorry I didn't mean-"
"That's not really the worst part I guess," Taehyung interrupted.
You cocked your head the side in confusion. What could be worse than Taehyung, your best friend, hearing you having sex? You were positive Jimin hadn't heard anything because if he had Jungkook wouldn't still be breathing.
"We're not just messing around, if that's what you're worrying about Tae. We're exclusive," you mumbled, a little embarrassed.
Taehyung sighed deeply.
"No offence, but you're missing the point. Y/N, do you have any idea just- just how long-"
"Taehyung, stop talking," you hissed. You didn't want to hear this, not when he was your best friend, not when Jungkook was your boyfriend.
"Don't interrupt me okay, just let me finish. I don't know when I started feeling like this. I know I shouldn't feel like this, I get that. But when you love someone... well you know. I just, I can't even look at-"
"I'm sorry Tae," you whispered, cutting him off. "I'm sorry... I'm dating Jungkook and I don't feel the same way about you. I just-"
Now it was Taehyung's turn to cut you off.
"What are you talking about? Aren't we still best friends?" he asked, his eyebrows scrunching together in confusion.
"Yes," you replied slowly, drawing out the "s".
"Then if we're still best friends, what do you mean you don't feel the same about me?" Taehyung said, his face the picture of confusion.
"Because you told me you liked me. Right?"
Taehyung suddenly let out a loud laugh and you jumped, crossing your arms over your chest and blushing a deep red color in embarrassment.
"Oh my God no Y/N! I don't like you like that! I did at one point but not anymore. I meant that I'm seeing your brother and it's hard to keep you and Jungkook a secret when you're buttdialing me when I'm with him. Plus, I don't want to ruin my first real relationship. I thought Jimin told you about the two of us," Taehyung said, a grin plastered on his face.
You scrunched your nose in disgust as well as confusion. At least he wasn't mad about the Jungkook thing but what could he possibly see in your brother?
"Really? Jimin? I mean I'm happy for you and all. I really am. I wish you would have told me sooner but whatever. Jimin's a loser," you replied, trying to wrap your head around it all. "Wait, when did this start?"
"Remember the night I slept over at your house after the party? Well, Jimin and I were talking and it just sort of... happened," Taehyung said, shrugging.
You cringed. You weren't sure you liked the thought of your best friend and your brother together, but were you really in a position to judge?
"The only reason I was avoiding you was because I wasn't sure how break the news to you. Also, how am I supposed to keep it a secret that you and Jungkook are together? I spend a lot of time with Jimin now. We have to be careful Y/N."
"You're really going to help me keep Jungkook a secret from your boyfriend?" you asked, your heart racing. You hoped he'd give a positive affirmation.
Taehyung nodded, drawing you into his chest to hug you.
"You're my best friend Y/N. I'll always be here to love and support you," he mumbled into your hair.
It was harder than you thought to continue keeping your relationship with Jungkook a secret now that Taehyung and Jimin were dating. You weren't sure why. Maybe it was because you and Taehyung always talked about your relationships with each other.
It was also weird being the third wheel with Taehyung and your brother. You couldn't help feeling like you'd been replaced. When Jimin drove you and Taehyung home, Taehyung sat in the front seat while you were forced to sit in the back alone. You couldn't whine about the relationship to Jungkook because they hadn't gone public. You had to gag by yourself when Jimin placed his hand on Taehyung's thigh while he drove.
At least Taehyung was back to his normal self. If he had continued ignoring you, you weren't sure you could have managed. Even if, in return, he spent most of his time at your house cuddled with Jimin on the couch.
jk: when can we meet again???
You sighed, unsure of how to answer him. You couldn't use Taehyung as an excuse anymore so it was nearly impossible for you and Jungkook to spend time alone together.
you: idk... things are kind of complicated right now
You locked your phone and turned back to your locker when Jungkook walked around the corner and leaned against the row of lockers beside you.
"What do you mean things are kind of complicated?" he asked, reading the text you'd sent him.
Sighing, you turned to look at him. The eyebrow he had raised dropped when he saw your expression.
"What's wrong babe?" he whispered, leaning closer to you.
You weren't sure what came over you, but suddenly you were wrapping your arms around his waist and nuzzling your face into his chest. The fabric of his t-shirt was rough against your cheek.
His arms wrapped around you in return, his hands sliding up your shirt slightly and his thumbs rubbing against the smooth skin on your lower back. He sighed, pulling you closer to him and planting a light kiss on your head.
You knew what you were doing was risky, but to be honest, you didn't care.
"Can we go somewhere this weekend? Like a party or something? I just- I need to talk to you about... stuff," you finished lamely.
Jungkook pulled back to look at your face and nodded.
"Of course we can baby. I have the perfect place in mind."