Chapter 1

I never expected this to happen. Everything seemed to be going so perfectly. My mother was the most healthiest woman I knew. She is the only person I know. I held her hand softly in mine as she laid on her bed. Her hand was cold and her touch was gentle. She had just fallen asleep after I caught her trying to clean up the house which wouldn't be doing her health any good. I smiled down at her trying to keep a positive feeling in the household. "You will be ok mom... I will make sure of it" I whispered at her as I kissed her hand softy since I didn't want to wake her up. I placed her hand back down on the bed as I stood up. Leaving her room I went into the bathroom to take a look at myself.

In the bathroom mirror I saw a skinny boy with messy short brown hair and sharp blue eyes looking back at me. I was nothing much to look at. My height was only 5'4. Pretty short for a boy ey? I chuckled to myself and shook my head. My smile showed off my dimples making me chuckle more. I wasn't a big fan of other people seeing my dimples so I never smiled around them, I thought dimples made me seem young and innocent compared to boys my age. Well I can't say that Im not innocent because I am.

I sighed thinking of how I've never been kissed. My mother always tried to get me to go out with girls but I couldn't speak to them let alone get feelings for them. The one thing I didn't want to tell my mum is that I was gay. I had never shown interest in any girls but when I saw most of the boys in the street it was hard to hide the fact that I was checking them out. I walked out of the bathroom and headed to my room. First day of ever working tomorrow and that means I have to talk to people.

I'm lucky enough to have a hat my dad brought for me incase I become a News Boy or well Newsie as I hear the kids on the street say. Stripping from my shirt and pants I throw on some pyjama bottoms and sat on the end of my bed. "They could eat me alive out there. I'd be shocked if I could even sell one paper" I placed my head into my hands. The other newsies probably wouldn't give me the time of day. I could just do what I gotta do and hopefully not have to talk to any of them.

After the strike the Newsies seemed to grow stronger as a family. Every day I would look out my window and see them playing around having fun. I looked up and out my window like any other day. Looking onto the streets of Manhattan where the Newsies normally gather to sell papers or to play around. 'I wonder what it's like to have friends' I thought to myself as I pushed my self away from the window and back to my bed. I laid down and sighed softly. I've never been able to socialise so the only people I knew were my parents. My father wasn't the best man alive but he was the only one I knew. My mother now being sick has forced me to start talking to new people. "If only father was here to see this he would be shocked for sure" I mumbled as I laid on my side. Slowly drifting off to sleep.