Chapter 2

Waking up early wasn't something I would wan't to do everyday. I sighed as I pushed myself out of my bed and towards my clothes. I tug off my pyjamas and chuck on my pants, white undershirt, black and red button down shirt, black suspenders, socks and boots. I walked into the bathroom before checking my hair. I looked at myself in the mirror and I put the cap on. "Here it goes Trip.. First day of being a Newsie" I said to myself as I walked towards my mothers room to check on her. Seeing her peacefully laying in her bed I headed down to the Distribution Center.

Walking through the gates I felt all eyes on me. I kept my head low as I walked up to the man who was getting money from the Newsies. "Well what do we have here.. A new guy" He snickered. "How many papes for you little guy?" He asked as he looked down on me. "Uhh 50 please" I said as I put my money in his hand. He nodded at the guy standing next to him who seemed oddly familiar but I couldn't tell where. He handed me my papers and I started to walk back towards the gate.

When I was just out of the gate when I felt an arm drape over me. I stiffened up not looking up at the boy next to me. "Well well well we have a new boy here" He said shaking my shoulder slightly. "You got a name boy?" Another asked me. "Uh Trip" I stuttered out and the boys laughed. "You gonna have to be more confident then that.. Im Jack" the guy holding me said and he started introducing the other newsies. "He got a pretty face for a boy our age Jack" the one that Jack said was named Racetrack said as he walked closer to me as if to get a better inspection. "You better not let him go to Brooklyn or Queens if he wants to keep such a pretty face" Racetrack laughed as he nudged Jack. "He won't be going near Brooklyn any time soon if I am gonna be the one helping him sell his first batch of papes.. He could do as well as Davey" Jack said as he held my face in my hands making me look straight at him.

All these boys around me made me slightly uncomfortable as I didn't know how to react of what to say. I've been so closed off from people my age this is a whole new experience that could go so wrong. Jack lead me away from the group of boys as they started to head their own ways to start selling their papers. I was watching Jack sell his papers when a thought came across me. These boys don't want me to go to Brooklyn and I think they mentioned Queens somewhere in there too.. Why wouldn't I wanna go to either of those places? From what I remember those are some pretty big places? Could that be why they don't want me going there?

I was brought out of my day thoughts by Jack sitting down next to me. "What brings you to being a newsies Trip?" Jack asked as he looks over to me. "Well my mothers sick" I mummbled out. Jack nodded and kept looking at me. "You don't say much do ya?" He raised an eyebrow as I nodded not wanting my voice to give up on me just yet. "Well me and da boys will help you talk more. Makes it easier to sell the papes that way. Not meaning to figure out your life story but normally the boys have different stories then a sick mother" Jack said his eyes locked onto me as I felt like I was sinking into the earth. 'I didn't want to talk more' I thought to myself as I laid my head in my arms.

"Hey wanna join me and the other newsies for some food?" Jack asked as he stood up. "uh I should be going" I shook my head I needed to get home to my mother "Aww come on the boys would love to get to know ya better" He nudged my side and started pulling me with him. "I really gotta get home" I said abit louder worrying for my mother. He nodded and let go of my arm but turned towards me. "I will see you tomorrow Trip" He said as he took off his cap then walked away. I stood there shocked for a moment then quickly walked home.

It was getting dark by the time I reached my front door. I had never left my mother for so long but I was lucky my mother had contacted her brother who would help care for her until I'm home. I walk straight up to my mothers room to see her sleeping peacefully. I head into my room quickly getting changed and putting my money into a jar before I started to get ready for a new day.