Chapter 3

Selling today was going pretty slowly. The other newsies still rarely spoke to me and I was fine with that. Jack walked next to me as we headed to our selling spot. Well my temporary one until I know what i'm doing well enough to sell on my own. I watch him yet again as he shouts out over exaggerated or made up headlines to sell his papes. "Trip give me your papes" He stated not even asking. "But what if I wanted to sell papes today?" I whined as I looked up at him. He hasn't given me a chance to do anything except to sit and watch how he sells so that I could make enough money. "Trip.. Listen. I wanna make sure that you know how to sell the papes and who not to mess with it ain't easy" Jack said as he look dead at me with the most serious look I have ever seen on his face. I sighed and handed over my papes. Less talking for me I guess. I roll my eyes as Jack smiles with achievement. 

Jack had sold my last paper and gave me the money. "You might be able to sell papes tomorrow Trip how does that sound?" Jack asked as he nudged me hard. "I would like that" I chuckled and rubbed my arm. We were heading towards Jacobi's to meet up with the other newsies. I stretched my arms almost knocking Jack over in the process. "Oh shit.. Sorry Jack" I blushed as I rubbed my neck awkwardly. Jack just patted my head as we entered the building. All the other newsies turned and looked at us. I hid behind Jack not liking the feeling of all their eyes on me. "Jack" I mumbled trying to get his attention as he started talking to Crutchie I think it was. "Hmm?" He said as he looked back at me. "Ah Trip no need to hide the boys wont hurt ya" He smiled and pulled me out from behind him.

I felt a tap on my shoulder and I turned around to see a man standing behind me. "Excuse me boy, but are you Trip Jackson?" He asked and I nodded slowly as I reached for Jack. After grabbing a gently hold of him he turned around. "You need to go home. It's your mother" He said looking at me with stern eyes. I nodded and looked over at Jack with worry and concern. "I will come with you Trip" He whispered to me. "I will go now" the man said as he walked out of the shop. I grabbed my chest and felt Jack put his arm over my shoulder. "We must get going before it gets dark. I'll tell Race i'm going to help you" he stated as he started to walk towards Racetrack. 

Jack stayed close to me as we walked back to my house. He asked for directions every now and again but other then that we stayed silent. 'Whats wrong with my mum? Is she ok?' I kept thinking to myself not knowing what I am about to face but I also had never seen that man before in my life. How did he know that I was me? He couldn't have been someone my mother or father knew. All I knew is that my 'uncle' would take care of my mum but I have no idea if I have any relatives if she dies. I started to shake as we neared the house and Jack gently rubbed my arm. "It's going to be ok Trip" He reassured as we walked up to the front door.