Chapter 3 - Pilgrimage (P2)

---

It was early in the morning. Today was the day that the fourth skirmish would start, and where Celica would recruit Leon, Valbar and Kamui. She lay down on her bed sheets with her legs crossed and hands behind her head. Her mask was on the stand beside her and smoky eyes bemused and wandering about.

The glimpse kept her mind whirling in circles, never stopping on something random to stop the questions and timings of it. Lance seemed to realize it was the only thing that kept her preoccupied. A dark pitch black room and pillars. Her head ached just thinking about it. What was it, really? A memory? A vision? Did it all lead back to why she was brought into this game turned reality?

A few knocks rapped on her door. "Lance! C'mon, we're nearing the Pirate Throne. Get up and at 'em!" Mae's voice was muffled on the other side of her door. She can just imagine her hands on her hips just waiting for her to come out all dramatic-like. Maybe she should stay in some kind of characteristic personality?

"Give me a minute..." Lance sighed heavily, picking up her mask and perching it on her face like glasses. Her journey with Celica was going to end soon. Her 'objective' is to get to Zofia Castle and possibly help Celica on her walk to the Temple of Mila. Though she does want to meet Conrad to see who wears a better mask.

Gods. Her sense of humor is zero. Negative zero.

She dusted the cape and her facial expression turned into a grimace. White isn't such a good color to wear on battles like these. It could get dirty quicker than a flying bird with one slightest touch it would be ruined. However Lance did think her light armour fitted with her character.

Was this really how she thinks now? Her conscience keeps telling her this is a video game while her voice says this is reality. Like a devil and angel telling her to pick a side. She shook her head and heard footsteps run off elsewhere. Her shoulders slumped from its tense posture. Lance didn't feel like fighting today. It may sound stupid but using a sword to defend yourself to survive? It may seem easy but it really isn't. Lance was from Earth. Technology and easy traveling is what she was used to. Not fighting against insane dragons who want to wipe out humanity and defending it with a whole army of war soldiers. That was all fantasy. But what was it now?

The ship tipped to the side making her stumble from where she was. All Lance could hear was shouting of the generic ruffians and clinks of metal which made her wince at the sound of the scratch material. She rolled her eyes in desperation.

'I just want peace! But noo. This is Fire Emblem. There's always a war and only way to find peace? Stop the war and defeat the evil Dragon god.'

Lance swallowed, eyes narrowing in anticipation. Her stomach twisted in all directions as if something was going to go wrong. Three units recruited. If one dies, it's possibly going to be her fault for one of their deaths. Lance hopes for the best and asks Naga or whatever other god that is out there to not let anyone die on her watch, even if she doesn't really want to be in the plot to risk losing anything or anyone important.

A bigger army meant stronger units, but also a great disadvantage.

'Sigh, this is going to suck.'

She tip-toes as quietly as she can to where everyone else was. Clangs of metal and explosions of spells was heard loud and clear on the battlefield. Lance wonders if she missed anything. The ship once again turned the opposite way making her shuffle on her footing towards outside where everything was taking place. Upon stumbling out she tripped with a small yelp when her body hugged the wooden planks.

Her vision was crooked. Lance set her mask on the right place and cursed. An archer notched another arrow to release. The ship was surrounded, though Mae, Celica and Genny were on land with Valbar, Leon and Kamui. She crouched down to duck another arrow. A yowl of pain came from the archer. Red steeped out from his arm.

'I know killing is quite normal here but seriously?!' Lance may not be the one to normally see blood and killing but this was just the starting point. She knew the incest was strong in these games but hell, this was just too uncomfortable to even watch.

"Lass! I don't recommend just sitting there!" Saber yelled at her from across the deck. He blocked an incoming attack from an axe and countered it with two strikes killing the brigand. Boey was with him, firing what looked to be a Thunder spell at the pirates. Lance nodded, a bullet of sweat running down her forehead.

"R-Right."

She lifted her sword and charged at a brigand with a two-handed axe. She dodges the wild swing but shuffled on her footing. A red tint aroused from her cheeks. 'I fell on the floor two times already!' Lance let out a reflexive squeak as the axe was brought down her and rolled off to the side to where her sword was.

Another roll. There! She grabbed onto the hilt and jumped to slam it down on the brigand's head, knocking him out with the piles of non-moving pirate bodies. Lance cringed at the faint metallic smell from the pirates.

"Disgusting. I don't think I'll ever get used to this."

She looked around and smiled wearly. No pirate in the area, well near her anyways. 'I think I'll stay here with the bodies...' There was honestly no point in running over to the rest of the company when there was only Barth up there on his only healing tile. Saber and Boey did the same but the mage's shoulders were tensed, ready to run over to Celica'd aid of she were to fall.

'But isn't it gameover when she dies?' Lance didn't know. She didn't even want to know what will happen if Celica succumbed to her death. Another headache came back to torture her and sighed heavily for the last time today.

"I need a break. I miss being lazy."

Once all of Barth's men was finished and disposed of, Lance rolled her eyes and her body slumping in relief and exhaustion. It was nice to know nothing went horribly wrong.

However Celica's next choice of words made her want to eternally sleep and never be awoken every again.

"We couldn't protect those men..." Her eyes swept over the two men who stared down at the body of their friend. "Mila, please forgive us." Lance watched in shock. Her left ear gave an eerie ring while her right ear can hear everything else. Her heart was stuck in her throat, not able to let any sound out. She deeply inhaled and let out two words that might fit the situation at hand.

"Oh shit."

---

TBC

Who's the one that dies? I'm sorry if this took so long. Stay tuned for the next chapter :)