prologue

The last time she saw him was when she drove home on that Sunday morning after spending the night at his place. She watched him wave at her from his porch through her rear-view mirror. “I love you,” they had both mouthed to each other. Not one soul could tell that it would be the last thing they would tell each other for a long while.

 -

 She was driving when she got the call.

She screeched to a halt, turned the car abruptly and began the seemingly interminable drive to the hospital. Her knuckles turned white as she gripped tight on the steering wheel.

"This isn’t real, this is a nightmare,” she choked through the sobs. “I could have saved him, I could have stopped him, I shouldn’t have insisted on tonight.”

A thousand ‘could have’s and ‘shouldn’t have’s later, she burst through the doors and two anxious faces greeted her.

“Oh, Kalina,” his mother pulled her into an embrace as his dad stood in the corner, fists clenched at his sides, forehead against the wall. He was always calm and composed - he was known to be the peacemaker of the house – and seeing him like that made Kalina shudder.

“Is Michael-“

She pulled away as she brushed Kalina’s hair out of her face lovingly. In other circumstances, that would have slowed her heartbeat and stopped the tears. But not this time; nothing could save her this time, except him.

“It was a drunk-driver, he died. Michael suffered head injuries, he’s in a predictably long coma,” Kalina was sure that wasn’t the only thing she said. Nevertheless, they came in a flood and the information slipped past her mind like salt in a funnel. Nothing made sense to her.

As her knees buckled, she fell to the floor. She started praying to the God she had never believed in before then.

“Please, bring Michael back to me.”

 - 

She came through the pristine white door with the same sullen expression that was portrayed on her face each time she came. Her shoulders sagged when she saw him. He had been in the same position for two months now and everything was clearly etched in her memory. White chairs, a torn down black table, a fluorescent yellow light and four entangled tubes that connected his body to different machines. Nothing new.

The doctor had advised them to continue talking to him despite his state. She never tried that, in case she would burst out crying. He never liked to see – or hear – her cry and she didn’t want to upset him, in case he could really hear everything. Or in case he was going to wake up then. She hoped he was going to wake up then.

But she was done keeping everything bottled up. Jotting down her feelings on tear-stained sheets didn’t help one bit – that only made her feel more confined and lost than ever. She wanted him by her side, she wanted him back.

She intertwined their hands.

“I miss you, Michael. I want you back. We all want you back.”

 -

 ok omg

so i know i'm not done with the doorman and i've barely started on koi no yokan bUT i thought of this yesterday and idk i'm really excited to start on this because i have the whole plot planned out BUT YES OK I HOPE THIS WASN'T TOO BAD ILY