Chapter 19

The former deli lay in readiness for tomorrow night's big opening. But today, I was getting ready for the fashion show with Clarice Kingsley. Both Karmen and Elise wanted to come along, but I insisted that the deli had to be looked after.

"Besides, Clarice could get only one VIP pass to the event," I said. "And we don't want to risk coming back to a pile of wreckage in our deli again."

The police still hadn't found any lead to the crime yet, so we had to be on high alert. And if Karmen couldn't come along, Elise was not allowed to come either, even she was officially invited.

"It's only fair that you stay behind too," Karmen said. "You already had all the fun."

"Remember, this is business," I said. "I'm not going there to have fun anyway." 

Clarice picked me up around two thirty. She had to be there early, so I could go backstage with her and brought my dessert sample along.

I made the cutest tiny cakes ever. They were bite-sized cubic and sphere-shaped delights. Each one was designed with a detailed chocolate coating, vanilla, and butter-icing sprinkled with edible gold glitters. I imagined light shining from inside the box when I opened the lid. The luckiest sweet-tooths would feel like a pirate discovering the hidden treasure.

"Wow Azra, they look so kawaii!" Clarice cried when she took a peek inside the box. "They're pure artwork! I don't know whether to eat them or display them."

I laughed.

"Let's hope that others would eat them," I said. 

"I'm pretty sure they will love these," she said. "What is this shining one?"

"Oh, it's a galaxy coated glaze cake," I said. "It took me the longest to make. I learned it from Youtube."

"Azra, you're like a baker version of a magician."

I laughed again.

"If we succeed tonight, I will need you to review all the desserts I make."

"Deal," she said and smiled.

We entered the building where they held the event. It was four in the evening, but the place was already packed with people. We went past security guards and the photographers. Clarice and I were soon led to the backstage. It was where make-up artists and models were busy getting ready for the show. I dodged people moving racks of clothes and lingerie. There were girls walking around half-naked.

"It's an annual lingerie and sleepwear fashion show," Clarice said when she saw my amazed face.

"Karmen would kill to be here," I said.

"You should find somewhere comfortable to sit. I'll be right back."

"Yes, I'll be at the refreshment table then," I said. 

Clarice blew me a kiss before she left.

At the refreshment table, I placed the box down and opened my phone to call my two best friends.

"How's the show, Azra?!" Karmen screamed when she picked up.

"It hasn't started yet," I told her. "Right now, I'm at the backstage. Clarice didn't tell me it was a show for a lingerie brand. Almost every model is half naked in here."

"Oh my god, I wish I were there!" she said.

"Where is Elise?" I decided to change the subject.

"The Princess Peach is still in her castle, don't worry," Karmen said. "She's probably plotting to murder me for all I know."