23. Reminders

"Emmy" I exclaim as I walk into the house on Saturday morning after coming in from taking a walk down to the mailbox. "Look what mommy has" I smile, waving around the catalog for Toys R Us.

"Christmas" she shouts, running up to me excitedly, her small hands reaching for the toy catalog.

"You know the routine baby girl, take this marker" I instruct, grabbing a marker from the small metal pail and handing it over to her, "and circle the toys you want from Santa this year" I smile.

"Okay mommy" she replies happily, her little legs carrying her over to the coffee table as Josh walks in from our bedroom, a distraught look on his face.

"Everything okay baby?" I ask worriedly, going through the rest of the mail.

"Don't get weird" he begs, making my head whip up to meet his gaze.

"Why would I get weird?" I question, stepping back and crossing my arms over my chest as I eye him wearily.

"Callie called" he says softly making my blood begin to boil. I try to contain my anger as I nod, waiting for him to continue. "Drew isn't doing well" he adds, tears forming in his eyes, "they don't know how long he has."

I stare at my fiancé in shock, unsure what to say. "Do they think he'll make it to Christmas?" I ask, my voice barely above a whisper.

"They think that's generous" he admits making my heart shatter.

I look over at Emma before looking back at Josh, taking a deep breath. "What do you want to do? I mean we really can't keep dumping Ems on our family" I sigh, running my fingers through my hair, "but I know you wanna go see him."

"I'll be fine" he replies but I eye him wearily, gnawing my bottom lip.

"Just" I sigh, "go see him" I give.

"But."

"Josh" I snip, "he's your best friend" I whisper, knowing there would be nothing that could keep me from Riley if Josh and I's roles were reversed. "Emma and I will be fine. But you better stay away from Callie" I say seriously.

"I only have eyes for you gorgeous" he assures me, leaning down to leave a quick kiss on my lips. "I love you."

"Love you too" I reply before he slips out the door.

*************************************************************************************

I had to admit when I told Josh to go I didn't think he would be gone so long. It's just past five and he left around one. I try not to let myself get upset as I move around the kitchen trying to prepare dinner when my phone rings.

"Hi Uncle Squirrels" Emma says suddenly, I turn to realize my daughter has answered my phone and Eric is calling for some reason.

"Baby girl" I laugh as I make my way over to her, "can mommy have her phone."

"Bye Uncle Squirrels" she exclaims making me chuckle as she hands over the phone to me.

"Hey Eric, sorry about that, my receptionist is on vacation" I joke making him chuckle. "What's up?"

"Just checking in" he says, "I uh saw something on Facebook." I sigh, running my fingers through my hair, "you let him go the hospital alone?"

"Let me guess, Callie tagged him in something" I sigh, grabbing my laptop and yanking it open. I log into my Facebook account and sure enough Callie tagged Josh in her status.

Callie Samuels with – Joshua Matthews

Good friends are hard to find...never let them go