♛ What is an Archetypal Hero?

Hello! Welcome to my semi-rushed story for English 9, 3rd hour. More on this assignment in the next chapter. If I seem serious or boring throughout this chapter and the next, it is because I really wanted to take the chance to inform you on this subject.

Before you read this, you will need some information on what an Archetypal Hero is, and how Archetypal Stories should work.

Archetypal Heroes can be anyone, from any world. Throughout their adventure though, they need to change and evolve in some way, whether it be physically or mentally. They are also thought to reflect ordinary, everyday people, no matter how unordinary they are.

This idea and the theory was brought to light and explained by Joseph Campbell. He believed that the reason certain stories stood the test of time, unlike others, was because they followed a certain pattern.

It goes like this: ordinary world, call to adventure, refusal, mentor, crossing the threshold, tests, allies, enemies, approach the inmost cave (optional), final ordeal, road back, resurrection, and return with elixir. Read below for more depth on each stage.

Ordinary World: The hero's home, or where they are most familiar with. This is the place they must leave, yet should return to after their quest.

Call to Adventure: This varies. It can be a quest they are given, a problem that arises, or a threat. They must face whatever this is.

Refusal: The hero refuses to partake in whatever the problem is at first. The reason for this can be a multitude of things.

Mentor: The mentor can be placed anywhere throughout the hero's journey. They usually provide the hero with wisdom, or assistance.

Crossing the Threshold: This is when the hero leaves their ordinary world. It does not have to be a physical occasion.

Tests: There can be as many of these as needed, anywhere throughout the journey. They help the hero grow and pushes them through their travels.

Allies: People that aide the hero in their journey. Allies are sprinkled throughout the story.

Enemies: Similar to allies, except they are against the hero.

Approach the Inmost Cave: This is not required. It is simply what is occuring right before the final ordeal.

Final Ordeal: This is the most difficult part of the journey for the hero, and is also known as the final test. Here, the hero might face their greatest fear, or even die.

Road Back: The hero's travel back to the ordinary world.

Resurrection: This can mean many things. If the hero died, they might be brought back to life. It can also be mental or phycological. This is where it becomes evident the hero has changed.

Return with Elixir: The hero returns to the ordinary world. The elixir is a benefit to the world, whether it be some form of protection or wisdom.

Of course, this does not have to be followed exactly.

An example of an Archetypal Hero is Odysseus, the main character of The Odyssey. The Odyssey is an Ancient Greek story, and is still being read to this day. It is just one example of an Archetypal Story.

If you want more information, you can read The Hero With a Thousand Faces by Joseph Campbell, or find a reliable source on the internet.

All sources can be found on the works cited chapter!