Chapter 5

Spain - Ava and Addie 15, Alfonso 19

The morning for departure I felt terrible. I did not want to go, simple as that. My mental state affected my physical state and I actually ended up puking. Alfonso was all dressed up and ready to go and so was Ava.

It has been a month since our 15th birthday, and still I had a hard time around them. And Alfonso looked so guilty about it, obviously it affected him as well as me. Just not the same way.

Mom stood behind me as I emptied my stomach. Alfonso must have heard me throwing up, because he burst in into the bathroom with unbelievable force.

He calmed down, probably because of the not so inviting sight "are you okay?" he asked, worried I assume.

Obviously I wasn't and a part of me wanted to snap at him. But another one wanted him to care, to keep me safe and for once not be all about Ava. Maybe I even wanted him to treat me just like he treated Ava.

Maybe I liked Alfonso. I started to think it. But he will never return the feelings that i might have for him, so what does it matter.

"Is she sick?" he asked my mom. I wiped my mouth with a piece of toiletpaper and flushed the toilet and finished up by washed my hands and mouth in the sink.

Alfonso placed a hand on my back as a comfort and rubbed it soothingly "I will call the airline and cancel" he explained and let go of me "I will be back in a second".

It seemed like all worries about a trip to Spain disappeared until I found out he just rescheduled our trip.

But he ordered me back in bed and brought everything I could possibly need. I liked him babying me, it felt... nice.

Ava of course joined him and they both tried to make me feel better. I didn't throw up more or anything after the one time, in honesty we could have left for Spain. But this felt better.

We left the next week. Alfonso carried all of our bags, and did not let us help him at all. Ava was so excited to go and kept talking about all the things we would do, mostly how she would stay on the beach all day and go shopping.

Alfonso was very excited to go on the waterslide and joked about pulling us with him.

What was my plan for the vacation?? I guess I didn't have one. But being in the pool is very unlikely, so I presumed I would be laying on the beach or beside the pool and hopefully get a tan.

That sounds better than saying waiting for them to go back to hotel to sleep and count down to departure.

Alfonso sat between us on the flight and for the first time in many years we were talking, like really talking, we had no other option to be honest. It was a 13 hour flight, so we had plenty of time stuck together.

Ava did most of the talking but once in a while Alfonso and I got a word in as well. Finally we landed and got to our hotel. And immediately we went to the pool, I didn't plan to go in of course, but I followed them.

Alfonso was the first one in the pool, Ava sat on the edge of the pool and stretched her arms out to Alfonso for his assistance, of course he gladly helped her into the water and they both laughed as she held onto his neck, clinging to him, as if something bad would happen if she didn't. But he didn't mind it, that was obvious. He loved it.

"Get in the water Addie, it's really warm" Ava tried to persuade me to join them, but I just smiled and shook my head sitting on one of the beach chair that was surrounding the pool. It was late, 8 pm. They were not alone in the pool, but almost.

"Come on Addie" She didn't give up. "The water is really nice, just put your feet in it" Alfonso tried. "The team captain for the swim team is suddenly afraid of the water" Ava joked, it wasn't funny. I thought she knew... How could she not? My sister knows nothing of me.