Chapter 20

"Thirty minutes na tayo dito, Patrice," Maine said, exasperatedly,to her friend whose busy texting. They're waiting for Pat's brother to arrive.

She kept glancing at her watch. For goodness' sake! It's near one in the afternoon and she hadn't had her lunch. She's famished and then later she still have to run back to the office.

"Ewan ba dun. Napakatagal! Tinext ko na nga hindi pa rin nagrereply. Baka di na naman makatakas dun sa girlfriend n'ya."

"Hay... Kundi lang nagmamadali na ako na makalipat sa condo," Maine said while crossing her arms over her chest.

Pat's brother texted her earlier to inform her that he already have her keys for her unit. Sa wakas! After two weeks since she decided to move to the suburb, eto na. Finally! Nakakapagod na magpabalik-balik from Bulacan to Makati, she thought to herself when she heard about the good news. Especially now that she's already working for a week already in the same company that interviewed her two weeks ago. Good thing the last owner left most of their furnitures so she didn't have to buy new ones. Well of course, except for the bed, she thinks she needs to buy a new one. Maybe next time when she and Aling Virgie are finally settled in. Good thing also it is a two-bedroom unit, Aling Virgie will have her own room too.

Their unit will be on the 8th floor, only a floor higher than Patrice and her brother. She's pretty sure now, Pat will keep on pestering her just like she used to when they were still living together in her tatay's apartment. Kung saan-saang parties and clubbing siya niyaya ni Pat. Alden came to her mind, there were times when he would scold her about Pat's always going to the clubs and she'd tag her along.

"Balak ko na talaga lumipat bukas na bukas," Maine said.

A few minutes later, Pat's brother, Paolo, arrived. He's tall just like Pat but he is fair-skinned, unlike Pat, a Filipina brown beauty. He is a year older than Pat and a couple of year older than Maine.

He came in huffing.

"Haaaaaay!" Pat said to her brother when she saw him came in the restaurant. Maine checked her watch. Gahd! It's quarter to one!

"Napakatagal mo naman, Pao! Sabi mo hintayin ka namin mag-lunch! Aalis na rin si Meng oh! Baket ba kasi ngayon mo naisipang makipagmeet alam mong may trabaho pa kami! Pambihira!"

"Sus! Tigil ka nga at hinihingal ako. Arte nito. Tse! Oh, Meng eto na dala ko na! Eto na yung susi. Okay na lahat. 'Yung papers nandyan sa loob ng brown envelope. Tapos kung kelan ka lilipat nandyan yung contact number sa lobby. Ready to move in na, pinalinisan na rin 'yung unit. 'Yung mga bed na pinoproblema mo, napa-treatment na. No need to buy new ones."

"Wow!!! Talaga? Ang bait mo ah! Baket?" Pat spat at his brother. "Pag tayong dalawa halos alilain mo ako sa kakautos mo akyat-panaog ng building, tapos pag si Meng lahat naayos mo kaagad?! Baket?"

He scratched his nape. His face reddened like a tomato. Maine knew why, she knew about Paolo's secret. Nahuli n'ya kasi minsan sa mall, magka-holding hands sila ng dyowa n'yang si Toni. Toni was also a guy. And apparently, her sister and their entire family have no idea that he's gay.

"Thank you, Pao. Baka bukas lumipat na kami ni Nanay Virgie," Maine said while smiling at him. She really was so happy. She again checked the time on her wrist watch. She's really late now. "Nag-lunch ka na ba? Tara kain na muna tayo, late na rin lang naman ako. Ikaw ba, Pat?"

"Naku, hindi na! Babalik na ako sa office. Gago kasi 'tong isang 'to. Paimportante!" She hit her brother's arm. "Alis na ako. Mamayang break time na lang ako kakain. Bye, Meng." She bussed Maine's cheek and left.