Chapter 23

Maine was still leaning on Alden's chest. Upon hearing from him that he's leaving again, she threw all her inhibitions outside the window. She wanted to show him how much she missed him. Her tears suddenly flooded her eyes. She was done crying when she finally asked Alden.

"Aalis ka na naman?" She softly asked while sniffing. Good thing the music was not that loud anymore, he was able to hear her. Her, leaning to him like that was giving Alden another chance to hope for her full forgiveness.

"Oo. Nandito lang kami for two weeks ni Sam. We'll just wait for the board exam results then we'll head back again to Bukidnon. That's where I was at for these past few months, alam mo ba?" He's now caressing her back. He lowered his gaze sideways to check on her. He wiped away the tears on her cheeks using the back of his other hand. "Tahan na."

Maine lifted her face to look at him, she saw how his eyes were pleading for her to answer. She nodded then she again rested her head on Alden's chest. Alden was cherishing the moment. Right in front of him now is his heaven. Yeah. And you'll leave her again, his conscience told him. Shit this fuckin' luck you have...

They are still standing in the middle of the small hallway leading to the fire exit. The place was still far from the crowd. Good thing that area was not well lit. Alden checked the wall behind him. He slightly hugged Maine to bring her with him when he leaned his back on the wall. He hugged her. Thank God she's letting him hug her now.

"Oo, alam ko. Sorry I was not able to answer your call that morning," she then said. Her voice is still cracking.

He raised his eyebrows and he showed her a smirk. Silently asking her, was not able? talaga? Which she responded with a pout.

"Ok lang. Naiintindihan ko," Alden said.

"Nag-take ka na pala ng board exam?"

"Oo. Sumaglit lang din kami dito noon kaya 'di na ako nagpakita sa inyo ni Nay Virgie."

"Okay."

In between their talk Alden can't help himself from thinking how she reacted earlier when he mentioned Caparros. Because truth be told, he was itching to tell her to reconsider Mara's or Mark's offer. Anything to have her back in there. He really wanted her to be in the same place again with him, where he can always see and look after her. Where he can always make sure she's safe. The irony of it all, when many months ago, he had her at bay but neglected her.

Stupid. He shook his head.

Now, he'll take anything from her.

Kahit ano pa sila, kung ayaw pa ni Maine. He'll take anything she's willing to offer. Basta nasa tabi n'ya lang sya. Basta nakikita n'ya ng madalas.

Maski bilang kaibigan lang.

Tangina. Hell, no!

That thought woke him. He felt all the insecurities he was having for the past months and he's not having it anymore.

He wrapped his arms tighter around Maine then kissed the top of her head. Then he rested his head between her neck and shoulder.

"I missed you so much too, Maine," all of a sudden he whispered to her too.

The silence between them lasted for a few minutes when Maine finally moved her face a few inches away from him to meet his eyes.

"Bakit babalik ka pa talaga dun?" She asked him. Her voice was evident with slight exasperation and disappointment. Deep inside Alden was loving every moment, he was jumping up and down with so much happiness.