Trip To Paradise

Valentina

As I sit on the uncomfortable benches that stan in the airport departures lounge, I wonder what on earth I am doing. Leaving everything behind me and leaving the only country I know, without anyone I know to hold my hand, to explore the world and discover myself. Right, it sounds a bit crazy for me I know!

I could feel my heart banging against my chest like an angered lion wanted out of its cage... my breathing grew faster and faster all while my brain fought to keep my body's panick mode under control. I just hope this trip will be worth it. That it will be the making of me.

My name is Valentina, Spanish blood but was born and grew up in the UK, just like my parents; It was my grandparents that emigrated here. At 20 I thought I was old enough and wise enough to go off exploring this big wide world, all on my own. Except I used to think this as a child and I still got lost in the forests and fields near my house, feeling so scared and vulnerable, yet I still went back and did it a hundred times over. Wondering about until my parents found me, scared out of their minds. Oh how that feeling has just returned to the pit of my stomach like unwanted food poisoning, linguring until I admit defeat.

I watched the screen for my plane to announce boarding, it felt like it was taking ages! I had already had a snack in Costa, looked at all the lovely expensive perfumes, picked out a magazine and a load of refreshments, not forgeting the new book I had just picked out to occupy me for the 15 hour journey; seeing as I wont have anyone to talk to. Now with all that done there was nothing else to do but wait for my plane to board. What is a girl to do?

I shifted and stired for what felt like hours in that seat waiting for my flight number to flash up boarding. I clutched my flight bags in anticipation and people watched for a bit; It was comforting to acknowledge all the different types of people in the world and how each had completly different stories. For hours you could imagine the types of lives each of these people had, each life being created in your head as fascinating as the last.

As the arm of my watch traveled slowly past each number, I asked myself, who will I be house sharing with for the next 2 weeks? And where should I go next? What amazing part of the world do I next want to disover, or better still is this next place going to discover me? With all these uncertain questions I decided to shut my brain off before I ignited my anxiety chimp and decides to fill my ears with the sounds of my current favs playlist, my earphones also blocking out everyone around me that too were stressed. What do they say about people losing their heads as soon as they walk through airport doors...

I must of drifted off in a light sleep because when I woke, sat bolt up and thought to myself, shit. I looked at the board and my flight said last call for boarding. I scanned the terminal looking around me for any directions to the gate.
Gate 12, gate 12, where is it! Yes!
Found it!
I ran, and ran and ran, pushing padt many unsuspecting traveller's slowly making their way to their gate ON TIME, until I got to my own damned gate. I reached it just as they were closing the gate...
" I'm sorry! I lost track of time!" I kept repeating, shut up you're making yourself seem immature and irresponsible! I quickly shut up, puffing and panting, the ground crew made one last radio call to see if there was still time for me to get on, please please let me get on, I don't know how many more knockbacks I can take, the ground crew lady nodded and pointed to my passport and boarding pass to scan, rushed me to the doors towards the plane, the deafening sound of the engine isolating my senses as I sped up the metal stairs... panicking to find my seat as I speadily walk down the aisle, feeling as if everyone were looking at me as I scan every seat number above their heads. The colour rose up to my cheeks, the air escaping my lungs.

Right. Seat f5. Where is it?

I found my seat and who I was about to be sharing this flight with for the next 15 hours, I let out an internal groan. In the middle row sat 4 young men around my age I would guess, and they were all easy on the eye to put it subtly but one on the furthest seat away from mine staring right at me was the most handsome looking man I have ever seen! This was gonna be one of the most awkward plane journeys ever! Atleast after 15 hours I wont have to see them again. I hope, but Fiji is a small island.