Chapter Fourteen

Chapter Fourteen

Ellie kept going near the windows to look out, and I kept pulling him away. Eventually, due to him not listening, I kept hold of his arm, and forced him to follow me around. 

"Hold this." I handed him a blanket, and grabbed another one.

"What is this?" He asked, I assumed he meant what we were doing.

"We are going to stay in the basement tonight." I said and ran into my father's room, where I grabbed a candle and matchsticks from his desk.

"Why?"

"Because." I stated, and practically dragged him beside me down the stairs, "Staying near windows during a storm is a stupid thing to do. The wind is awful out there and it's only going to get worse. It's not safe."

"Not safe." He repeated, and I opened the basement door.

"Ladies first." I said, as I beckoned him to go down. He only stood there, not understand my joke. I rolled my eyes, forgetting that he didn't realize mockery, and walked down the stairs. I lit a candle, which permitted only a faint light in the corner of the room that we were in.

It was good enough.

I spread two blankets on the floor, and scrounged around the basement (which was half shadowed in the dark) for a flashlight. No such luck.

I was about to ask Ellie to help me search when a loud gush of wind hit against the windows upstairs, which rattled them so loud, I felt as though the entire house shook.

Ellie stared at the ceiling, as if not comprehending what the noise was.

"We are not going upstairs." I confirmed, though he probably already knew that.

"It's not safe." He stated, repeating my caution from earlier.

"Yes, very." Honestly, I didn't know how bad the storm was going to be, but if the electricity went out before it even started, then it must be somewhat bad.

Giving up on the hope of a flashlight, I sat down on the blanket. Ellie sat farther away, against the wall, closer to the stairs. "You know," I said softly, "You can sit next to me."

I noticed his gaze flicker to the cell in the back of the room, despite it being in the dark, the candle light shone on the metal making it barely visible. "I don't like this." Was all he said, and suddenly, I felt bad.

The thought of Ellie being nervous about going in the basement hadn't even crossed my mind. Of course he'd hate it down here, I nearly starved him to death in the cell.

I shivered at the thought.

I got up and moved the blankets over to where he was sitting. I then sat beside him, so close that our arms were touching. We both sat against the concrete wall with nothing to stare at but the flickering candle in front of us.

We could hear the wind upstairs rattling the windows, and the rain beating the side of the house. The thunder was getting louder and more frequent each minute. I pulled a blank over the both of us, I'm not sure if he even needed warmth, but it was a comfort gesture more than anything. 

I began wondering what we could do to pass the time. I glanced at Ellie, and his focus was on the tiny flame in front of us. He didn't say a word.

"Why are you always so quiet?" I asked him, wondering if it's because he hates talking, or genuinely has nothing to say.

I always thought I was the introvert in the house, but Ellie has beaten me for the title by a landslide.

He looked at me, "Quiet?"