Chapter Fifteen

Chapter Fifteen

I was woken up abruptly by the sound of glass shattering above us. The wind was howling outside, and water was leaking into the basement. I could only assume that a window had broken open just as I suspected one might.

Ellie, who had been asleep beside me, was now sitting up and just as alarmed as I was. I wasn't sure how we both managed to fall asleep, but there was no hope for us returning to slumber anytime soon.  

I lit the candle that had blown out somehow when we were asleep, and sat so close to Ellie that the sides of both our bodies were pressed against each other. "This hurricane is going to last all night." I said, though it were entirely obvious.

Ellie nodded his head, but said nothing. Being this close to him felt strange. He smelt of paint, and despite there only being faint candle light allowing us to see, I noticed paint marks tattooed on his skin.

I found it amusing that he was just as messy of a painter as I was.

"You have paint on your arm." I told him, and pointed to a red blotch on his elbow.

"Yes, that is inevitable." He said, not even bothering to look at the paint I was referring to.

"You should clean it, it's not good to be on your skin."

"My skin is different from yours."

"Not entirely."

"Entirely." He argued, but didn't press it further.

We sat in silence, listening to nothing but the wind and the rain beating up against the house in unison. I found myself thinking what would happen if the house collapsed, if somehow, it couldn't withstand the pressure of the hurricane, how would I fix it? How would I be able to contain Ellie in such a horrific situation?

To be clear, I'm still not entirely convinced Ellie will always be a rabid creature around others. I feel he is bound to get used to people eventually.

He got used to me pretty damn quick.

If Ellie did ever get used to people, he'd be no different than anyone else. Granted, we'd probably live together for the rest of our lives, but he could go out, go shopping, get his driver's license, go to school if he wanted to.

He could get a girlfriend.

I nearly choked on the air I was breathing. Ellie getting a girlfriend has never crossed my mind before. I don't think he's even capable of romantic attraction. Nobody would want to date a boy created in a lab.

Still, I never thought Ellie was capable of human emotion, and yet, he's able to feel as much as I can. Who am I to say he can't fall in love?

Though it did intrigue me to think about, the fact that Ellie could go to college. He's so brilliant, I could even see him become a doctor, if he wanted to be.

Or a scientist, just like my father.

Then again, what if he felt inspired to make more creatures like him? If he were to fall in love with anyone, it'd be with someone who was his equal.

My mind began to wander to subjects I didn't particularly want to think about. The fact that someone would be attracted to Ellie was strange to me. Of course someone is bound to fall for him, he isn't bad looking.

Is he capable of having kids? Would he ever. . . try?

I shook my head quickly. My face felt as if it were getting red, and for once I was glad for the darkness of the basement. Suddenly, I didn't want to be so close to him. To be touching him.