Chapter Eighteen

Chapter Eighteen

It took all day, hours of scolding myself for being an idiot, and a few thousand curse words, I managed to figure out how to replace the broken glass with the new glass. 

Ellie sat and watched me, and I even shoved him away by kicking him at one point because I was frustrated that he didn't offer to help.

I swear the look on his face was of pure amusement as I struggled the whole time.

What was worse, was that I caught Levi staring out of his house window a few times, just watching me, I'm sure he and his family were laughing at my struggles too.

God, I miss my father.

With the sun nearly out of the sky, I laid back on the couch, and sighed a long sigh. Ellie, who was painting the wall, put the paintbrush down, and sat beside me.

He stared at me for a moment, and proceeded to copy my actions by leaning his head back as I was. We both sat there in silence for a long moment.

I sighed for the second time in a row, and Ellie sighed too.

I didn't even look at him, "You know." I stated, as I lifted my legs, and rested my feet on Ellie's lap. "We're kind of pathetic."

I could feel his eyes burning on me, "Pathetic."

"And boring, dull."

He must have had to process what I was trying to say, because he went quiet for a moment. "You are bored?"

I scoffed, "We just survived a damn hurricane, and now suddenly normal life isn't so interesting." I had the entire day to think about it. Me and Ellie; we are losers. Totally lonely people who do nothing but sit around and paint all day.

It wasn't until I was home after going to retrieve the glass for the windows that I realized, despite the entire time I was terrified that I left Ellie alone, I was relieved to be out. To see other people. Which isn't something I'd usually admit.

Ellie obviously is bored as well, he always has been. He spent half the day in the basement doing God knows what, and the other half just watching me.

I don't even think he is capable of understanding that he's bored because of his unwillingness to socialize with other people.

It's a messy predicament, that I have no idea how to even attempt to fix.

We didn't talk much after the conversation. It didn't take long for me to fall asleep, once my eyes shut, I was gone for a few hours.

I was woken up by Ellie shifting slightly beside me. I opened my eyes and saw him reading a book, with both my feet still resting on his lap.

He hadn't moved the entire time.

I watched him as he would flip each page silently as possible as if not to wake me. It didn't make any sense to me why he was trying to be caring at this point. I did kick him pretty hard earlier.

I cleared my throat, "What are you reading?"

He didn't even sound surprised that I had woken, "Shakespeare." He replied casually. He pulled up the book, and I read the title.

Romeo and Juliet.

"Huh. Never took you for the romantic type." I pulled my feet off his lap, and sat up to a sitting position. The clock on the fireplace read 4:02 in the morning.

Ellie turned to me, "You are a romantic?"

I snorted, "I've only kissed one boy, and he constantly smelt like peanut butter, if you consider that romantic, then I suppose I am."

"You've kissed?"

"Yeah, it's not all its hyped up to be in the stories." I rose my arms above my head and stretched, "Besides, there aren't too many people I'd like to swap spit with in this world." I paused, "I mean, I would John Lennon, but he's dead."

I noticed Ellie was staring at me. He was saying nothing, but something about the expression on his face, I could tell he wanted to talk about it further.

This perked my interest.

"What about you?" I asked him, "Is there anyone that you'd like to kiss?" The only girls he knows is Judy Garland, and Marilyn Monroe. Who, if I were him, I'd want to kiss too.

And then of course, there's me, which is out of the question.

He shrugged, as if I'd actually take that as a valid answer. "Oh wow." I rose my eyebrows, "You really are a romantic, who's the lucky girl, Ellie? You can tell me, come on." I poked his arm, and he gave me an annoyed look.

"I don't know girls."

"So you just want to kiss any girl." I held back a laugh, "That's fine." I patted his shoulder, "That's totally fine, actually, that's incredibly normal. I fantasize about kissing John Lennon all the time."

"I don't want to kiss any girl."

"Yeah," I said sarcastically, "Sure, Ellie. Sure."

He sat up straight, "You don't believe me." He was frowning, but there was a glint in his eye, something that washed the smile off my face entirely.

"Everyone wants to kiss someone."

"You want to kiss someone."

"Sure I do." I defended myself, "I'm not a total hermit."

He blinked. "Okay, you can kiss me."

I nearly choked on the air I was breathing, "What did you just say?"

He said it so casually, "You can kiss me, Ripley."