i

I parked my car on my new driveway and took in some fresh, cold air from the cloudy city of Portland. I unlocked the door of my new house and instructed the movers to unload my furniture. I glanced around the neighbourhood of Maple Leaf Drive once again. There were around eight houses in the small cul-de-sac. Out of these eight lovely homes, only three were occupied; today I'll make it change to four.

I believe myself to be a good neighbour. I am a nice and humble person. I had hopes that I could make some friends here, but my realtor, Dana, had told me that the people in this neighbourhood were pretty antisocial. That couldn't stop me from buying the house, I got it at such a good rate that I couldn't resist.

While supervising and instructing the movers, I noticed a guy mowing his lawn. He lived in the house adjacent to mine, towards the right. Dana told me that there's an old couple who lives across from my house, a divorced women with no kids who lives in the beginning of the neighbourhood and a guy in his 20's who lives right next to me. I went over to his house with the thought of starting a friendship since I am too in my mid 20's.

"Hello, I'm Maya. I'm your new neighbour." I said to him when he took a break from mowing his lawn.

He looked at me for a second as his dark brown eyes met mine. He removed his sleeveless tank and threw it on his porch, revealing his toned, muscular figure.

"Can't you see I'm busy?" He replied and turned the lawnmower back on, continuing to mow his lawn with nothing but blue jeans and a brown belt on.

"SORRY!" I yelled over the noise of his lawnmower and walked back to my front yard.

I guided the movers until all my stuff was inside my new two story house and made instant mac and cheese for dinner before sleeping.

I woke up in the middle of the night with the sound of a woman screaming. I swear I heard something! It must have just been in my mind. I got out of my bedroom and went to the kitchen. I poured myself a glass of water and I peered through my old, faded curtains. I looked into my neighbour's house, the one whom I tried to talk to earlier. I couldn't see any lights on.

I settled for the fact that my mind had been playing tricks on me and went back to bed. I had to get my sleep, I was starting my new job the next day. 

Author's note:

Hello everyone. First of all thank you for reading the first chapter of this book. This is my first attempt at a mystery /thriller, I don't usually read this genre of stories but I wanted to try something new. I wasn't able to give this story my all because I have been busy, but I did how much I could. I apologise if the chapters seem too short or if the story seems rushed. This will be the last story I'll write this year. I really hope you like it. Thank you for reading it once again :)