xx

After spending a few days in the Brooks Hospital, I couldn't take it anymore. I had to get out of the institution. But nobody believed a word that I had said. I tried telling everyone about what had happened. I told them about Lucius and about everything I saw. But the more I spoke to people, the more they resented me. Maybe it was because the people I was surrounded with were actually mentally disturbed, or maybe it was for some other reason.

I spent my days sleeping, eating and using the bathroom. I didn't even feel like going outside, and no one forced me to. But one situation confused me. The head nurse would take a roll call before everyone would go to bed. She would give everyone their prescribed medications from the hospital's psychiatrist. But I was neither given any pills nor therapy. Whenever I asked, I was either ignored or the nurses would change the topic.

I decided to finally make my grand escape after sulking in the hospital for almost a week. I decided to escape at night, I would tip toe silently and run away. I could catch a cab or bus, or maybe just walk back to Dallas since I had no money on me. Yes, I was ready to walk from Portland to Dallas, that's how desperate I was to get my life back. But I didn't even know where the nurses put my stuff, no one would tell me anything clearly.

I stared at the clock at night, waiting for it to become an odd time. 12 o clock seemed too common for an escape, the night guards would probably still feel enthusiastic about the night. My gut told me that 2 o clock would be a reasonable time. I didn't sleep a wink that night. No, I couldn't sleep the night I wanted to escape from a psychiatric ward.

I opened he door knob every so slowly, and tip toed down the hallway and to the stairs just as I had imagined. There was a guard downstairs who stood in front of the main door, I noticed him when I was on the first step of the staircase. I removed my rubber band from my hair and threw it as far as I could, away from the exit. Luckily, the guard saw it and went over to inspect it.

I moved swiftly but slowly. Being careful not to make any noises. I pressed the handle of the doors down but before I could push it, a sharp alarm started to ring. I turned around and saw the guard running towards me. I quickly pushed the doors open and jolted towards the gates. But two guards were already running from the gates to the inside of the building. I was trapped.