xxvi

We used a guard's security identity card to open the gates and dashed out. We ran for several blocks, as fast as our legs could handle. We turned into different alley ways and took a break on an empty street, unknown to me. We sat on the pavement and happily breathed in air which didn't belong to Brooks Hospital.

I touched a weed growing in between the cracks of the pavement, it felt good to be back into the messed up world.

"Are you hurt?" I asked Lucius.

"I'm alright, I'm a tough guy." He said.

"How are you? Didn't you get hit with the baton too?" He asked, leaning close to me.

"Got punched in the face and hit on the arm." I said as I felt the bruises.

"You're a strong person, Maya. You really are." He said.

"I know." I said. Surprisingly enough, I didn't feel any pain even though I got hit, I actually felt relieved. I made it out of an insane place and although I knew that I had a killer next to me, he didn't frighten me. Maybe Brooks Hospital made me insane.

"So what's next?" Lucius asked me.

"I'm going to get out of Portland. I'm not even going to spend the night here. I'll find a way to go to somewhere. Anywhere but here is fine by me." I said.

"What are you going to do now?" I asked him.

"I'll pay Detective Dalton a little visit. Then I'll leave too. I'm done with this town and I think that they're done with me. My time in Portland is over." He said.

We stood up and faced each other as the cold night's breeze blew in our faces.

"I guess this is goodbye. Have a good life, Maya." He said reaching his hand out.

"Goodbye, Lucius." I said and put my hand into his.

That was the first and last time we touched. We parted our ways after that night. I moved to London, which is far far away from Portland, far far away from my past. I try to forget about all that has happened, but it's hard to forget such unusual things. I couldn't forget Lucius either, no matter how much I wanted to. I don't know where he is, or what he's doing. All I know is that Detective Dalton disappeared the day after we parted ways.

---