xxiv

Lucius and I were awake all night, discussing and trying to improve his original plan. I was honestly traumatised by all the electric shocks given to me. I was full of rage too since they didn't treat my like a human being. I had been ready to go to any extent to escape the tyranny of Brooks Hospital.

We waited until 11 at night, the time when everyone went to bed and the guards' shift would change. Lucius had been noticing every detail of the Hospital for a week, it seemed like a pretty solid plan to me when he explained it.

We tip toed upstairs, and went to the rooftop. We knew that escaping from the main door was too silly of an idea, I knew that idea all too well. Luckily, while the guards were busy giving me my routine VIP treatment, Lucius got a chance to snoop around and even stole rope from a store room.

Lucius tied the rope to a sturdy ledge and dropped the thick rope down the three storied building. The cold breeze of the night froze my face, but for the first time in a while I felt some emotions. I was excited, yet nervous to leave the institution.

"Lucius, I don't think I can do this." I said, feeling too scared.

"It's do or die." He said.

"Listen, I'll go down first, I'll be right there. If you fall, which I know you won't, I'll catch you." He said.

I looked passed him into the glow of distant lights, thinking of a future that I could have if I could escape.

"Maya, trust me." He said.

"Okay." I replied.

"Good. I'll throw a stone or whatever I'll find once I reach the bottom." He said.

"What if you fall?" I asked.

"Don't worry about me." He said.

"Remember to be as silent as you can. There are two night guards outside. So be careful." He warned.

Lucius slowly descended down the rope. The only thing stopping him from falling to his death was his grip on the rope. The plan wasn't foolproof, not at all. But we didn't have time to come up with something better, we had to escape. I was actually do or die.