Should have gone with Hendricks

THERE WERE MANY THINGS Wylan had imagined himself doing in his life, but helping a six foot three blonde out of the top of an elevator half a floor beneath him was not one of them.

Neither was having a crush of Jesper Fahey and his goddammed smirk.

Neither was working with the infamous drug-dealing (though nobody had ever caught him in the act) widely known Kaz Brekker.

And he had definitely, never thought he would be participating in illegal activities.

Unfortunately, he now found himself doing all of them.

"So can you do it?"

Wylan nodded, focusing on the thick cables and the inside panel of the elevator. "It'll work."

Jesper leaned forward, dark eyes gazing at the inside panel and then at Wylan himself. "You're sure right?"

"Positive," Wylan replied. "Essentially, an elevator runs smoothly because of the four steel cables on all four sides of the elevator. But there's also some advanced machinery going on inside it, allowing it to rise and fall. Matthias accidentally broke it when he fell into the buttons, because the buttons trigger exactly where you can go. By falling onto the buttons and breaking them, he accidentally damaged the machinery that controlled the elevator's ability to go to a certain floor. With those damaged, nobody from either inside or outside the elevator could get it to move."

Jesper nodded slowly, processing it all. "Okay. And you think you can fix it?"

Wylan shook his head. "I can't fix it without being inside the elevator itself," he explained. "The only way to do that is to have a cable onto me, and let me work. But that'd take hours. But instead we can adjust the control panel up on this floor, and alter the settings so instead of communicating with the part of the elevator that takes commands of which floor to go to, it sends an order to the machinery itself, and that machinery will take the order and rise."

Jesper blinked, biting his lip. Wylan inwardly tensed and tried to avoid staring at said lips. "And you're sure you can pull that off? How would that even work?"

Wylan shot him a withering glare. "Of course I can do it!" he said outraged. "And technically this is less of an engineering thing, and more of a temporary programming thing. And if it doesn't work, then the cables are still holding the elevator up in place, so unless they're ripped or broken, then nothing will happen."

"Do we need to tell Inej and Matthias to get inside the elevator again?" Kaz asked suddenly.

Both boys jumped, turning their heads to see Kaz casually leaning on the side of the room, almost as if he'd been there the entire time.

He raised an eyebrow, as if expecting them to act as casual as he had.

"Y-yeah," Wylan said trying to recover from the shock. "Yeah, you need to in the next ten minutes or so. Programming this will probably take ten minutes, maybe a little more."

Kaz nodded, beginning to step out of the room. Wylan paused after he left, turning instead to Jesper.

"How did you open the elevators?" he asked Jesper frowning. "In order for an elevator's doors to open, it needs to physically arrive at the level and trigger the machinery."

Jesper shrugged. "Kaz can open anything," he said easily. "He's the best with locks, and always has been. After he mastered locks, the elevator was really the next step. He's a little rusty though, but he did tell us beforehand that opening an elevator takes a good three hours."

"That's impossible," Wylan said automatically. "Kaz can't be that good at it all."

Jesper cocked his head. "Did you or did you not jump when he appeared into existence five seconds ago?"