Sixteen

"Zak? What the fuck happened?" Brendon gasped, looking down at me. A crowd had now gathered with whispers and giggles hollering in the air. I laid on the floor looking up at the ceiling as Brendon hovered over me. Of course, being the idiot I am, I had to fall off my chair in front of the one hundred people in the canteen. They must have heard the almighty crash and wondered what had happened.

"I- uh- I guess I fell," I stuttered, rising to my feet.

"Uh.... yeah, I can see that, Zak. I'm not a complete idiot. I mean, why?" Brendon questioned.

"I don't know..." I shrugged, scratching the back of my neck. Obviously, I knew why. But Brendon can't know that I was distracted by some year eleven boy who just so happened to be passing by. And he definitely can't know I have a blossoming crush on said boy. Our friendship would be over if he found out I'm a faggot.

"Freak," he cackled, ruffling my neck. "You guys can all leave now. The idiot's alive!" The gathering of people all huffed, before returning to their usual social groups. I took a seat at the table bashfully. Jacob had stopped his heated make-out session to look over at me skeptically.

"Zak, the actual fuck," he scoffed.

"Yeah, I know, I'm retarded," I sighed.

"True," he laughed. "But, I mean, you were totally just staring over there like you were eye-fucking some girl. Are you manging (A/N: Northern slang for 'pulling' as in a sexual/romantic manner) some other lass or somet'?" Shit, shit, shit. So he had seen me? I thought he was too absorbed in the taste of Jasmine's cherry lip balm to even notice my presence. Clearly, that wasn't the case.

"Oh... I..."

"Is this why you don't wanna fuck Skai? 'Coz there's someone else? I mean, if there is, just dump her arse and get the other girl, it's not like Skai thinks you love her or anything. You guys have only been dating for a month or so." That was my problem, though, Skai did think I loved her. So I couldn't dump her. And I especially couldn't dump her for a boy. I do have a heart, as small as it is.

I avoided eye contact as best I could, but Jacob was glaring into my soul and I was on the verge of cracking before he piped up again.

"Oh my god! It is! Zak, you are such a player!" He cackled, Brendon soon joining in on the banter.

"No, I'm not!" I protested eagerly.

"You're also the world's worst liar!" Brendon laughed.

"Shut up," I groaned.

"Aw, bless. Lil' Zakky's got a crushy on a girly," Jacob mocked. Hardly.

"God, I hate you two," I sighed defeatedly.

"We know," they chuckled simultaneously.

"So who's the lucky girl, hey?" Jacob began. "Is she tidy (A/N: 'tidy' means good-looking or attractive)?"

Shit. Well, I could either tell him the truth and risk losing our friendship, my reputation, but, most importantly, my dignity, or I could play along with some stupid lie that has a 50% chance of them believing. Take a wild guess at what I did.

"Yeah. Blonde and curves that could kill," I grinned.

"Ooooh, nice. What are you gonna do about Skai, then? Dump her or cheat?" Brendon asked.

"Cheat." Honestly, I answered that quicker than I would have liked. There was no WAY I could dump Skai for a guy. She would absolutely hate my guts, which is what I want, but for different reasons.

"Niceeee," the two cooed in approval.

"Mhm. Listen, I gotta go get to class. I'll catch up with you guys later!" I hollered, already several yards away from the table.