Chapter 1: Tragedy

Adelaide POV

"Avalynn wait up!" I yell to my 14 year old sister. Avalynn or Ava as most people call her slows down but keeps walking.

"Addy, we have to keep walking." Ava tells me.

"I know Ava" I say. "I'm 12, remember?" Ava rolls her eyes.

"Just hurry up, Adelaide." A gunshot rang out. I screamed.

"Adelaide Tessa Waters, run!" I heard Ava yell.

"Ava, you need to run as well." I tell her.

"No!" Ava says. "Addy, I told mom that I would always protect you. I have to keep that promise."

"But you would also be keeping that promise by staying with me." I tried to plead with my sister. My mom and dad were already dead. I couldn't lose my sister too.

"Addy, please." I hear another gunshot. It was getting closer. Ava all the sudden grabs my hand and shoves me into a nearby trash can. Ava put the lid on. I take out my phone so that is Ava dies trying to protect me, I can record her voice and hear it anytime I want. I press the record button.

"I love you, Adelaide. Never forget that." Ava, my sister says to me. I stop recording.

"I love you too, Avalynn." I tell her. I squeeze my eyes shut. I will NOT cry. Not now. I can't be noisy and have the shooter find me. Not when my sister is risking her life to save mine.
I hear footsteps walking away from the trash can. I hug my knees to my chest and wait. I hope Ava is hiding as well, that she is safe. Minutes passed with no gunshot. My hope that Ava was all right was growing. Mabey I would still have some family. I checked my phone. 20 minutes had passed. Maybe Ava will be alright. Then I heard a gunshot. My heart fell. It felt as heavy as a rock. I couldn't move. I hoped it was someone else. I know that's mean but I couldn't help it. All of that happened in a split second. Then came the scream. Ava's scream.

I buried my face in my hands. I was shaking. I had to keep myself from crying. Ava died for me, my parents died for Ava and I. My entire family died because of me. For me. I hated myself. I really did.