A New Life

I am running in a forest, my clothes torn and my hands dirty. I faintly notice cuts on my bare arms. My breathing is rapid, my heart thudding in my chest, longing to break free. Darkness swallows the forest. Only a speck of light managed to invade the dense forest roof and I am desperate to reach it. When I approach the light, I see someone. Someone who is tall, lean, muscularly. His back is towards me so I cannot make out his face. Somehow I know it is Cal. I am safe I throw my arms around him and tears spring in my eyes. He turns and I finally get a glimpse of his face, something I've been longing for so-

Maven.

I bolt upwards, breathing hard, feeling the soft mattress beneath me. Pain shoots in my limbs from yesterday's episode. My wrists and ankles are still restricted by the shackles. Someone has shifted me from the floor to my bed. Sweat breaks through my skin until I feel sheen of sweat covering my forehead. I also feel wetness on my cheeks either from sweat, tears or blood, I cannot tell.

The sun seems to have directed its rays on my face. I focus on slowing my breathing. In. Out. In. Out. In. O-

There are 3 knocks on the door.

Someone enters.

Someone tall, lean and muscularly.

Thousands of cotton balls are stuck in my throat.

I remember yesterday's events.

I remember my dream.

And.

I can't breathe.

Maven

His expression is unreadable. I am not surprised. He was always good at guarding his feelings. That's what monsters are. Evil bastards disguised under layers and layers of calm demeanor. He looks at me, his eyebrows raised, his eyes skimming my bare legs. I feel my cheeks burning but I dare not break my gaze.

I never liked reading, my academic records prove that, but once I read that dogs can sense fear. Looking at the dog in its eye is a sign of aggression. Same rules apply here. I will not look away. He's a wild dog and if I am to survive in this cage, I must become a wild dog too. I must become the little lightening girl people learn to fear.

"Good morning, love" He says.

A crooked smile creeps its way to his face, greatly improving his usually somber features. I feel a small leap in my heart. I start. This is the first time he has called me 'love' My heart still yearns for him. I can't help it.

Foolish. I silently scold myself. Even after the pain and suffering he has caused me, a corner in my heart still longs for him.
I am so busy being angry and ashamed at my feelings that I realize a lifetime later that he's waiting for my response. I must look like an idiot, getting stumped by his "good morning." I compose my expression, careful not to give away any emotion.

"What do you want?" I rasp, my voice neutral.

He blinks. His eyebrows glide upwards. He says in a mocking voice.

"Are you saying 'good morning' in some new language I am not yet aware of?" He laughs.

I grit my teeth and scowl. Yesterday torture, now this. I wonder what he has planned for tomorrow.

"Answer" He says, his voice suddenly stern.

So, he's planning on controlling me.

"What do you want, Maven?" I reply through gritted teeth.

"Tsk tsk. We need to work on your stubbornness." He says, shaking his head. He dodges my question. "It'd be so much better for you if you cooperate. You're never going to be able to escape anyway. So it's better for you to abandon your silly schemes and cooperate."

He walks to my bed, his steps lithe. He sits on the edge of my bed, his face turned towards me. He looks tired. For a moment, I see the boy I fell in love with, I see the boy I kissed on the boat a thousand lifetimes ago, who held my hand and told me he'd never let anyone hurt me. I see him and wish him to be real but he's not.

He composes his features, turning into the calculated monster I know so well.

"The first thing you're going to learn is to obey my every order, no matter what." He says quietly. Quietly. Quiet is dangerous with Maven. His eyes are cold but are made of fire.

"The second thing is that you're going to say 'Your Majesty' when addressing me. Do you understand?" He continues.

"Yes" I snap

"Yes, Your Majesty" he corrects, his face livid.

I do not reply.

He sighs.

"I regret doing this. Always have and always will" He murmurs.

He grabs my forearm, his hands scorching. I scream, my throat raw. I try to break his hold but my efforts are weak. Tears spring into my eyes and I scream and scream for what seems like an eternity. Burns are the most painful form of wound.

He lets go and I gasp. Burn mark the shape of his hand is formed on my forearm. I feel tears trailing down and I let them.

He strokes my hair and sighs again. I grit my teeth, feeling disgusted.

"I'll send a Healer. Your maids will be helping you get ready. I want you at breakfast." He says softly. He is still stroking my hair and I feel a strong urge to swat his hand away but I don't.

I hate him.

I can't escape from here. I have spent a month here and I have tried to find any way, anything that might help me but I can't. Living a life under the same roof as Maven disgusts me. I miss Cal. I miss him so much. I think about him every night and wake up with his name on my lips. As much as I want Scarlet Guard to help me escape, I know they shouldn't risk it. They must focus on recruiting newborns. One person's absence doesn't matter. I cover my mouth with my hand and rock back and forth.

As for me, I have to accept a new life here.

                                                                      °°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°

Dear Readers,

Author's block on this one. I am running out of ideas. I don't want to make it similar to the rest of the fanfics. I'll brainstorm some ideas. Until then. Read. Comment. Vote. I'll be honored xxxxx

Sincerely,

me