My worst fear

I let the maids strip me down and scrub me clean. My usual struggles are gone. I look down at my bare chest, not out of vanity, but out of curiosity. I look skinnier than before, my hip bones are prominent, my stomach has shrunk and I could easily count my ribs. They help me into a red, sleeveless dress. The hem grazes my kneecap and I tug on it, wishing it to be a bit longer. I guess monsters' dolls don't have a say in their attire. I sigh for the umpteenth time.

I go to the dining hall. Before opening the doors, I hold my breath and remind myself not to mention the Scarlet Guard. I make my way towards Maven's left side, avoiding his stare. I can feel his eyes on my bare arms and legs and a shiver runs through me. I reach for the toast and start nibbling it. I could still feel the weight of his gaze. I squirm uncomfortably in my chair

Please, look away.

"I've got some news for you" He announces. I finally meet his eyes and immediately regret it. His eyes shine with triumph which means whatever it is, it can't be good. His mouth curls into a smile.

"I got your birthday present" He says softly. He motioned the guards to open the door, his eyes still locked on mine. I crane my head to see.

I freeze. My appetite is gone. I can't move an inch. Every nerve in me is paralyzed. Every muscle renders useless. My mind can't make sense. My heart misses a beat. I. Can't. Breathe.

I see two guards dragging someone like a rag doll, leaving a trail of red blood behind them. I recognize him immediately.

Kilorn

I could recognize that disheveled hair anywhere. His bottle green eyes are unfocused. He looks semi-conscious. Blood oozes from a wound on his forehead.

I can't lose the fisher boy.

I start to get up.

"Don't move" I hear a cold, hard voice.

Maven pins my arms on the table.

Maven looks at me with a satisfied smile on his face. I want to kill him. He can't do this to me. I feel a scream building up inside me. He forces my face up, his one hand still locking my arms and whispers gently in my ear, his lips grazing, "It's only the beginning, love." His voice is like a caress.

He calls the guards and orders them to take me to my room, at least that is what I think he says. My mind feels clogged and I couldn't make sense of anything. Maven says something to me and the guards force me to my feet. I turn to Maven and whimper, "What are you going to do to him?"

"Nothing you would be unaware of" He dismisses me with a wave of his hand.

"You're a twisted, psychotic person!" I scream, my throat raw.

"I've been told worse" He cocks his head, watching me with amusement.

I stay rooted on the spot, my eyes meet Kilorn's and he nods weakly but I could see pain reflecting from his eyes and every bone in me shatters into small meaningless pieces. I feel the guards drag me away. I look back, memorizing every feature of the fisher boy

I don't realize I'm in my room until one of the guard slams it shut from outside. The truth finally sinks in.

He's going to kill Kilorn.

And there's nothing I can do.

I reject the meals delivered to my room. I throw the plates at the wall. I throw stuff everywhere. My mattress is on the floor. My pillow is under the table. My chair has lost one of its legs. I've torn some meaningless books. I've lost track of time. With nothing left to break, I sit in the corner of the room, hugging my knees. I want to cry but no tears come.

I do not think.

I do not let myself get lost in the never ending sea of What ifs.

I do not move.

A few hours or a century later, I hear the door open. I do not react. I stay on the spot, staring at my toes.

"The King wants to see you" I hear the gruff voice of guard. He looks around and smirks, "My, my. What a mess you've made. Worrying for that Red rat, girl?"

I do not answer. My insides squirm and my hands begin to sweat at the prospect of talking to Maven. I get up and move towards the door.

I do not register my surroundings. I have no idea how many turns we've taken. I do not know what corridor we are in. We stop at the door of his study. I swallow back the lump forming in my throat. My worst fear has already come true. There's nothing left to fear now. I gather my nerves and take a deep breath. I knock.

"Enter" he says.

I enter.

                                        °°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°

Dear Readers,

Hah! You thought I was gonna let you swoon at Mare and Maven's conversation in this chapter? It's gonna happen in the next chapter, which will be coming within 3 days. I promise. I'm sorry this one's short but Kilorn's imprisonment must be a huge shock, right? While I brainstorm some new evil things, Read, Comment, Vote. I love you all and I am truly grateful and humbled that you gave this shitty fanfic a read. xxxx

Sincerely,

me