One Last Time

He is staring into the fireplace, lost in some deep thought, his back turned towards me. His hand is clutched around an empty glass, his veins standing out, his fingernails impossibly paler than his skin. For a moment I'm afraid that the glass might shatter under his grip. Without looking at me, he beckons me to come forward with his free hand.

I don't.

"Come here" His usually authoritative voice is punctured by exhaustion. I move forward cautiously, each footstep weighing a thousand tons. I stop and stand in front of him.

The dancing flames cast shadows below his high cheekbones. He looks paler than ever. The bags under his eyes seem more prominent. He looks almost... human. Yet his electric blue eyes are alert when he addresses me.

"An uprising started in one of the States" He says so quietly as if he's talking to himself.

I gasp. They were meant to recruit newbloods secretly. They were supposed to train them and then start public demonstrations. Not like this.

"By the Guard. Nearly all of them managed to escape except for him and four others."

He studies the empty glass, "Turns out the four others knew nothing about the Guard's current whereabouts. They had no connection with the Guard. Nevertheless, treason is treason and must be punished. They were executed a few hours ago" He says it so casually, he might as well be talking about the weather.

"I kept the boy alive. Thought you'd be interested. Execution without you knowing wouldn't be fun. I would love to watch you dread his death at every breath. I would love to watch you die every second, fearing that he will die. I would love to watch you crave death only to realize that it won't be coming." He finally looks at me, his eyes glinting. His mouth curls into a half smile.

"Would you allow it, Mare Barrow?"

My cheeks flush red with anger. Rage is boiling inside me. I want to claw his face with my nails.

"Show me how much you care about his life."

I suppress that rage. I swallow my pride. I can't stop my hands from shaking. I realize I have tears on my face. I wipe them with my sleeve.

"Please. Don't kill him. Have mercy" I whisper, my voice breaking.

He walks to me. He hooks his thumb under my chin and lifts my face, until I'm staring right into his eyes, his nose inches from mine. He cocks his head slightly, using his hand to wipe off my tears. Each touch feels like a caress. I want to keep my distance from him but I can't. For Kilorn.

"Mercy" He says the word as if fascinated by it. He kisses my forehead. I curl my fingers in his shirt, waiting for him to say something.

"Yes. I can be merciful. I can certainly try but it comes with a price. What do you have to offer, Mare Barrow?"

"Anything. Anything you want"

This surprises him. Then he smiles a sweet smile making my barely existing love for him flare up. Some part of me still loves the shadow, enough to betray the flame.

"Yes, I would like that." He says slowly.

He calls the guards and orders them to take me to Kilorn's cell. My heart leaps. Hope flutters in me.

He brings me close and whispers into my hair.

"Tomorrow, he will be executed publicly and you will watch it. A guard will be at your door exactly at 8 a.m to escort you. I have given you a chance to meet him. That's the mercy traitors deserve"

My heart shatters into pieces. He crushed the last hope I had in his humanity. My hands go numb and tears spring in my eyes. I walk to the guard. As soon as the door closes behind me, I burst into tears. The guard pretends not to notice and I feel slightly grateful for that. We walk to the cells, the weight of the Silent stone suffocating me but for once, I don't care.

We stop in front of the cell and the guard leaves me alone with the fisher boy. Kilorn sees me and moves forward, No, he limps forward. I reach out to grab his hand. His fingers enclose mine. His hand is moist and mine is rough.

"Hey Mare, to what do I owe the pleasure?" He says, his voice terribly weak.

"He let me see you" I gulp. He furrows his brows in confusion. "One last time" I added my voice breaking at the end. He nods to himself as if confirming what he reckoned, his eyes betraying dread he is trying so hard to suppress. I hold his hand tighter.

He swallows.

"Mare, I knew this the moment they seized me. I just have to accept it now." He says bitterly.

"I- I'm so sorry I can't do anything" I say.

"Don't be. It would've just gotten you in more trouble" He says.

"But-" I start.

"Just... kill him when you get the chance" He whispers.

I nod. Killing him is not just a wish anymore, it's my ambition and that scares me.

"Good" He says.

Neither of us has the strength left to talk so we sit against the wall, our hands still clutched. I look down at them. None of this would've happened if I hadn't been so selfish to keep Kilorn away from war.

I don't want to sleep. I want to memorize his face and his voice. Eventually, despite my efforts, sleep takes over me.

Hey readers,

I'll be working my way towards a more human Maven. Hope you'll like it. I'm dead tired rn. Read. Comment. Vote. I appreciate every single one of you to give this a try. Honestly. I'm grateful. xxxx

Sincerely,

me