00; running

❝ sometimes running away means you're headed in the exact right direction ❞

sometimes running away means you're headed in the exact right direction

[PROLOGUE]

~~~

SHE WAS RUNNING.

Running from the life she was born into but never wanted. The Ryder family had been well-known hunters for decades. Their family lines lay entwined with the job. Each and every member of the family had been trained from birth to become a fearsome hunter, killing all manner of creatures that go bump in the night.

All her siblings had trained hard and fast, hoping to become the best of the best. They were all ready to continue the long and proud line of hunters. But not Julia. She had always known deep down that hunting was not what she wanted.

Sure, the chance to save people and rid the world of one less evil was an incredible honour, but the ex-hunter had always dreamed of escaping this life. It had never seemed like a possible reality — until now.

She was free. She was out.

Hair swirling her face, she sped down the road in the stolen car (some habits were hard to break). Here, with the wind rushing past her and music blasting from the speakers, she experienced a momentary feeling of complete freedom.

That wasn't the case and Julia knew it. Her parents, her relatives, her siblings, would all be out looking for her. She was a disgrace to the family name and the Ryder family would do anything to protect their 'perfect' reputation in the hunter community.

This wasn't a decision the woman had taken lightly for she knew what it would mean. Despite her family's controlling nature, she loved them and now would never be able to face them again. Seeing the disappointment and heartbreak would be too much. Of her four siblings, one of them accepted her bid for freedom — despite not understanding it.

When their parents had loosened the reins slightly after becoming adults, Aaron and Julia had often partnered up for hunts. She would talk for hours on end about her plans of escape and her brother would listen. But he didn't long for freedom and a life outside hunting.

So here she was, racing down the road in a stolen car — alone and with one thought on her mind.

Could she ever be free of the life she had been born into?

~~~

He was running.

With a snap of his fingers, he found himself in a secluded area of woodland. There was a time when the Angel would have admired the beauty of his father's creation, but the garrison that pursued him prevented it.

Heaven was a mess. His father was in the wind. His brothers and sisters were lost and unguided. There was nothing left of his family; it was broken.

Despite being an Archangel, the fight to escape Heaven proved a difficult task. The other Angels wanted to keep him there; he was, after all, a powerful asset. Even after he left, they followed him through every town he set foot in.

His vessel, meant only for him, was close. So close.

In his heavenly form, he descended on the man to ask him the one vital question. Lucifer, his brother, would have tricked the human into agreeing to be the vessel of an Angel but he was different. Despite their flaws, he was fascinated by his father's proudest creations.

He was close, so close, to escaping the family he had once loved — and still did.

Would he ever truly be free?

~~~

hope you enjoyed!