06; choices

❝ sometimes the only pay off for having any faith, is when it's tested again and again everyday ❞

sometimes the only pay off for having any faith, is when it's tested again and again everyday

[ANSWERS: PART TWO]

~~~

JULIA CAST HER eyes aside from the Angel in shame. She knew it was her duty, however unfair fate had been, to do what she could for humanity. After all, how many people knew about the true horrors that existed in the world they lived in?

It was up to this small community of people who had made it their life's work to protect those innocents from these monsters. Some, like herself, had been born into the role; a legacy passed down through the family which so many dutifully obeyed. Others forced into the hard lifestyle by personal tragedy, revealing all the dark secrets this world had to offer.

This was what it all was leading up to. The big fight. The Michael versus Lucifer, in which humans were inevitably going to find themselves stuck in the middle of—unless she could do something about it.

Despite the horrors she knew would come, Julia couldn't help but think wistfully at her own house, her friends—especially James—down at the station, the new signature she scribbled on each report and, hell, even her slightly under-watered plant in her office. That was all Julia Barton. The cop in a small town protecting a handful of people from whatever human tragedy came their way.

But now the world needed Julia Ryder. The hunter, the protector. Saving people in the shadows from creatures they could only imagine. They needed the woman she had left behind all those years ago.

This meant dredging up memories she had been so eager to forget, burying them in her new life. It was the world or herself. A tiny, selfish part of her wanted to say no. To turn her back on the hunting life for good. Narrowing her eyes at the thought, Julia cursed herself for even considering it.

For when humanity needed you, even at the cost of your own soul, you answer.

With this in mind, Julia Ryder turned back to Gabriel, her eyes locking back onto his. This time it wasn't the suspicious eyes of a simple cop, but the steely, prepared gaze of a hunter. If there was one thing the hunter knew how to do, that was fight and she'd be damned if she went out any other way.

There were no words spoken between the pair, for the Angel knew she was ready. His usual smirking expression had been replaced for the moment by the thin set line of his mouth and hardened stare.

Nodding once, Julia twisted her head to stare down her street; with one final sigh, she turned her back on normality and headed down a path she knew she may never return from.