Chapter 2

Cortex and Cynthia laughed, having been hanging out for hours on end. The two were talking intensely about the past and what they had been doing most of their lives. The two of them had met during a high school project. At that time, Cortex was attending a 'good' school with his sisters because his mother frown upon his 'evil' ambitions. Eventually, Cortex left London without saying goodbye to Cynthia, not wanting to hurt her.

As they talked about their lives, Cortex had decided to leave out his years on the island and instead told Cynthia that he had been travelling the world. He also told her that he was a doctor of science and the only reason Nina went with him was because of Nacey settling things with her ex.

Cynthia stated, "After high school, I went to college and started to study accounting. Eventually got myself a job at a bank."

Cortex replied, "It's so interesting that you actually are good at bookkeeping."

Cynthia responded, "I am but it is a dying art, with computers taking over and everything. Kids these days don't seem to understand where we came from, you know?"

Cortex told Cynthia, sipping on his tea a bit, "I keep telling Nina the same thing."

Cynthia joked, "Well, nieces don't tend to listen to their uncles." Cortex laughed at that as did Cynthia. She stopped as she confessed, "I'm so glad I saw you today. You haven't changed, Neo."

Cortex commented, a bit nervous, "Well, I wouldn't say that exactly."

As far as Cynthia knew, Cortex had NOT changed, due to the fact that his mother wouldn't allow him to be 'evil' during his high school years. Surprisingly enough, no one could really tell the difference (except for his sisters) and Cortex did wind up joining the Drama Club.

Cynthia stated, "Oh come on, you've been a perfect gentleman tonight and yet you are still single?"

Cortex blushed a little bit as he replied, "I just haven't found anyone."

Cynthia was the one to blush now and responded, "Me either."

The two stared at the other, hoping that someone would make the first move. However, it was the waiter that broke them up.

The waiter stated, "Your check."

Cortex started to say, "Thank..."

That's when he looked at the waiter and saw Maurtiz's face. He jumped a mile high, gaining the attention of Cynthia.

Cynthia asked, worried, "Neo?"

Cortex quickly got out his money, frightened, as he ran out the door terrified. Cynthia looked at the waiter and saw a normal every day man. She got concerned, apologized for what had happened, and left.

...

Cortex had stopped running when he got to a park. He panted, scared. Why was he seeing illusions? Was he going mad because he wasn't going back to the island? Were Victor and Maurtiz really still alive? When he finally slow down his heart rate, Cynthia found him.

She asked, "Neo, what happened back there?"

Cortex started to answer, "Cynthia, I..."

Cynthia interrupted, "Did you jump a mile high at the waiter so you wouldn't have to kiss me?!"

Cortex tried to say, "No but..."

Cynthia started to say, "I mean I don't get you sometimes and..."

That's when Cortex did something that he'd never thought he would do. He kissed Cynthia. Cynthia's eyes flew open, instantly feeling fireworks as she returned the kiss. Cortex felt the same fireworks as the newly formed couple held each other close. Cortex was the one to break it, much to his dismay.