Chapter 4

Cynthia was still standing in the doorway as Cortex, Nina, and Nacey were getting ready to leave. Nina was already all packed as was Nacey. They were just waiting for Cortex. Cynthia was in a daze as the door opened a bit, allowing a Pichu to come in.

"Is this the home of Neo Cortex?" The Pichu asked, a bit unsure.

Cynthia was surprised by this as Cortex saw the Pichu right away.

Cortex ran over to him and gushed, "Pete!"

With that, he hugged the youngest Pichu brother, whom returned the hug awkwardly. He never saw Cortex look so...clean.

Pete looked surprised as he asked, "Cortex? What happened to you?"

Cortex answered, "Nina and I were returned back to our normal states before we became evil. Velo must've done something when we were hit by that light cause you are still the same."

Pete stated, "Well yeah, obliviously..."

Nina came over as she joked, "Watch it."

Pete laughed as Cortex looked around, anxiously.

He got worried as he asked, "Where's John?"

Pete answered, "Oh, he went ahead of me back to the island. I told him I wanted to talk to you."

Cortex questioned, "To me...?"

Pete stated, "Yeah. You've got to come home! Victor and Maurtiz might be back!"

Cynthia perked up at this and asked, "Who are they?"

Cortex ignored her for the moment as he asked the youngest Pichu brother, "You are having the illusions too?"

Pete nodded as he answered, "John and I are both having them. Why? Are you and Nina having them too?"

Cortex stated, "Afraid so."

Nacey replied, "Then that only urges us to return."

Cortex nodded as he put down Pete. Pete looked at his oldest friend as Cortex kept his eyes down.

Pete asked, "Cortex?"

Cortex started to sob, the tears hitting the floor. Cynthia couldn't help but feel sorry for Cortex and that's when she did something that she thought she would never do again. She hugged Cortex, surprising him. Cortex looked at her as Cynthia looked at him.

She breathed, "Everything will be okay."

He looked at her and asked, "You mean you forgive me?"

Cynthia blushed as she answered, "Well, I can see why you lied to me in the first place. No one can believed an evolved bandicoot that you created, much less a talking Pichu."

Pete defended, "Hey! I was talking LONG before I even met Cortex!"

Nina joked, "Annoyingly so."

Pete shot her a look as Nina and Nacey giggled a bit. Cynthia and Cortex smiled. Cortex stroked Cynthia's soft cheeks, looking deep into her eyes.

He commented, "Thank you."

She stated, "No. Thank you."

With that, the two of them shared a brief kiss, to which Pete jokingly gagged.

...

That evening; Cortex, Nina, Nacey, and Pete were at the boat docks with a rented motorboat. Cynthia was there as the crew boarded. They wanted to make sure that their trip to N. Sanity Isle was a quiet one so no one got suspicious.

Cortex looked at Cynthia (who was still standing on the docks) and asked, "Are you sure you don't want to come?"

Cynthia answered, "I think its best I stay, in case anyone asks where you three have gone off to."

Pete joked, "It's my breath, isn't it?"

Nina smiled as she stated, "Well, it does smell like week old Oran Berries."

Nacey added, "And week old Pecha Berries as well."

Pete rolled his eyes playfully as everyone had a good chuckle. Cortex turned to his girlfriend as he briefly stepped off of the motorboat and kissed Cynthia one last time. Cynthia returned it as Cortex was the one to break it. He sadly let go of her, going into the motorboat once more. Cynthia untied the morning ropes as the motorboat started to float in the harbor. Nina started the engine as the motorboat headed into the cold waters.

The only one looking back was a concerned Cortex, watching as his girlfriend disappeared from sight. He knew now that he would never return home again and wished he told Cynthia that before he left. A sole tear escaped his eyes and went into the waters below.

...

A few days later, the motorboat had arrived on N. Sanity Island after a few stops for gas and food. Nina was the first off of the boat as she jumped onto the white sandy beach and smelled the air.

She asked, "Are we on the east side?"

Nacey answered, "Looks like it."

Pete questioned, "Isn't Crash's beach on the north side?"

Cortex stated, tying up the boat, "Yes but if we kept going in the direction we were, we would've wounded up into an unfamiliar waters."

Nina replied, "Well, at least we're on the island."

Nacey responded, "This is true."

Pete told them, "Then let's find my brother and Crash."

Cortex nodded and said, "Right."

With that, the four of them headed towards N. Sanity Isle Beach, also known as Bandicoot beach.

...

Crash didn't know what to expect anymore. John had arrived the other day, all alone, and the oldest Pichu brother was talking with Crash's family. Pete had gone to London to talk to Cortex. 'Something tells me that Pete might be coming alone,' Crash thought, tears coming to his eyes. That's when something caught his attention.

"Crash?"

The south Australian bandicoot looked up and saw something that he would see again. Standing there, a foot or two away, was his best friend - Doctor Neo Periwinkle Cortex. Even though he looked strange, like a normal person, Crash recognized him right away.

"C - Cortex?"

Cortex ran towards Crash and Crash ran towards Cortex. The two met with a hug as Cortex started to cry on Crash's fur. Crash refrained from crying, holding Cortex close as the two best friends stayed like that for a bit. It was like nothing else existed. Nina, Nacey, and Pete came up from behind Cortex. Coco, Crunch, Aku-Aku, and John came up from behind Crash. John hugged his baby brother as Pete returned the hug. Everyone smiled at the sight.

...

Wishmaker1028: Please read and review! And always think outside of the box!