Chapter 9

Chapter 9-

"s'il vous plaît aller loin." I blurt.

The little girl looks at me strangely. "Daddy, I think you took me to the wrong place," the girl says, staring at me.

"No sweetie, Jane said her daughter takes french." The stranger says. He looks over at me. "Hi Audrey."

Jane is my mom's name? "maman?" I call out into the house. Don't let this guy hear you speak English. Protect yourself with french. Put on de perfume. Make em die overwhelmed of one direction "Our Moment." Why not use it up?

I hear mom's bedroom door open and close, and Mom appears in the doorway. "Oh, hi Richard." Mom says. "Sorry about Audrey's manners." She says, shooting me a look.

"Mom, who are they? What are they doing here?" I ask, confused. When the stranger bends down and kisses Mom on the cheek, I know.

Now, just so you get the picture, my mom is a shortie, she's 5'1" on a good day. This stranger is at least 2 feet taller than her.

"Didnt I tell you, Audrey?" Mom says. "Richard and his daughter, Shelley, are coming over for dinner."

Of course then my brother's show up at the front door, arriving home from school. Eric, the 10 year old, glances at them, and then goes to the kitchen. Cody looks at my mom wide eyed, and then back at the girl. Cody then looks at me.

"Her new boyfriend has a daughter?" Cody mouths. I shrug, and then I see Hadley standing behind the girl.

"Hi Hadley." I say. Hadley smiles at me, and then examines the crime scene.

"Oh Audrey, why did you invite your friend over when you knew we were expecting guests?" Mom says.

"You never told me you had a friend coming over." I say, using air quotes.

"You never told me you had another friend coming over." Mom says.

"Another?" I say confused, and then look next to Hadley. "Mom. Meet Clara." Hadley pulls out her phone, and texts me. I pull out my phone.

Hads- Clara had just asked me to come over, and then we decided to come to your place when you called me.

I shove my phone in my pocket. "Well, I better introduce y'all." I mutter.

"Eom calls. Eric comes into the room.

"Thats my youngest brother, Eric. Then there's Cody, cursed with middle child syndrome. My mom, or Jane, is there, and this girl is Shelley. Her dad is Richard, the guy right there, and I think he's my mom's boyfriend. I don't know."

Mom sighs. "Audrey, how about you and your friends take Shelley to the park?" Mom says.

"Sure." I say. Shelley eagerly takes my hand, and Clara, Hadley, and I all skip to the park.

Shelley runs to the swings, and Hadley immediately gets on the one next to her. I start to push Shelley, and Clara pushes Hadley.

"So, your mom's boyfriend?" Hadley says.

"I answered the door and there was this tall guy standing there with a girl. I got nervous, and-don't laugh, okay?" I say, turning red. "I started speaking in French."

Hadley bursts out laughing. "That is so you, Audrey." Hadley says. "Nerd alert!"

I roll my eyes. "Anyways, the little girl was worried we were at the wrong house, and the guy said 'its okay, Jane said her daughter is taking French.'!" I exclaim.

"That's not creepy at all." Clara says.

"I know right?" I say. "Anyways, I called for my mom-"

"In French?" Hadley says, snickering. I playfully smack her arm.

"Shuddup!" I say. "Yes, in French, and my mom came out of her bedroom and said 'oh hey Richard' and he leaned down and kissed her cheek! It was funny, because my mom is on the short side, and then that's how I met Shelley and her Dad."

Shelley giggles. "I'm 5, you know. Not that little."

"Yeah, thats true." I say.

After a couple more minutes on the swingset, they all start going on the slides. I roll my eyes, and sit on my favorite bench.

A few more minutes later, I feel hands over my eyes. "Hadley, your hands are really cold."

A guy laughs, and removes his hands. "Peek a boo." Michael says.

"Wazowski." I tease. "What are you doing here?"

"What else would I be doing on a Friday night?" Michael says sarcastically.

"Probably on a date." I say.

"So come on!" Michael says, reaching for my hand.

"I'm babysitting." I say, putting my hand behind my back. "But very smooth."

"I try." Michael says, smiling.

A/N-

Weird place to stop, i know. But next chapter is Hadley's POV, and it'll help make sense of Shelley and Richard. Anyways, I need sleep. I've been home sick :(