The Lost

Cheer erupted in the large stadium. Aomine felt his heart clench in dread for the first time. The feeling of defeat creeping into his very bone, his face contorting into a sign of disbelief. But he had lost, the fallen faces of his team-mates and the victories screams and shouts of excitement from the opposition only seemed to worsen his pain.

"I lost..." But he was not broken, like he expected he would be. He could only make out a pair of fiery red eyes watching his stature only for a mysterious pressure he had felt on his shoulders lift all of a sudden. It had plagued his mind for years since his was being recognised as a member of the 'Generation of Miracles'. He finally found someone with the potential to stand and rise above his level. The person he had been waiting for ages, had just suddenly swooped in and sent his world crashing around him. His victory streak, he had a love-hate relationship with ended that very day.

"What's with the long face?" A voice pierced the thoughts generated by his rambling mind, still delirious from the recent developments. "Why are you acting as if it's all over?" If he remembered correctly this was his new rival- Kagami Taiga. The name fitted him considering his strong build, fiery and dynamic attitude and the one who had fought on the court on par with Aomine, if not exceeding his expectations.

"Sheesh, who is the one who lost?" He stared at how Kagami had wrapped Kuroko's thinner arm around his neck to support his lump and fatigued body. It surprised him how quickly his mind supplied him with a retort, however it seemed to lack its usual bite.

"It's not over yet." Aomine looked up to Kagami as if to question his mentality, the score was clear and his defeat was recorded live on television. But the words which were uttered next strangely warmed his heart. "Things have just started, let's play again. I still haven't beaten you in a one-to-one match. I'll take you on." His pride which had been crushed to dust before his eyes, all for the best, was replaced with a peculiar sense of understanding. As if he was weirdly happy for his defeat, like he had reached a sense of enlightenment only defeat could make him comprehend.

He felt lighter as his lips for the first time formed an easy grin, one which held all the excitement and determination for the future battles to come. Kagami was immediately affected by the smile, it seemed to have an infectious quality which spread to him instantaneously. Aomine was probability so far the one he admired the most, even if his foul mouth, insensitive and egoistic character left much to be desired for in the end whatever Aomine lost in personality he made up for in skill. When Kagami saw the crestfallen and suddenly lost expression overcome Aomine's face, as he tried to get a glance at his new rival through all the hugs and hair ruffling from his team-mates, he was worried. Worried that the world of basketball would lose such a talented person. So he opened his mouth and blurted whatever that came to his mind and hoped it would be enough to at least lessen the effects of defeat.

The sudden shocked featured across Aomine's face, and the secret elated spark which ignited in his eyes confirmed that Kagami had said the right thing. A brief snort and playful smile tugged at his lips was all Aomine could manage at the outlandish challenge.

"Shut up, idiot." But the tone of his voice betrayed his words, in the end making his retort look like a last attempt to conserve himself from breaking, clinging onto the one thing he knows best. Kuroko having overcome the spiralling dizziness which came with fatigue opened his eyes and muttered softly.

"Aomine-kun..." the dark haired man was reminded of his ironic words, 'Your basketball cannot win'.

"You win Tetsu." His defeat punctuated by his voice.

Kuroko lifted his hand and stared directly into Aomine's eyes, "You still haven't returned by fist bump, from then..." He left his words hang in the air along with his fist.