January

That evening the monster was annoyed, then it got nervous.

Perhaps it depended on the snow which ruined its plans for the night, perhaps as it detested so much end year holidays it wanted everyone knew.

Just the two of them at home in that moment, a rare event. Anna knew what could happen; she stayed away the most possible, then, when it couldn't see her, she slowly reached her bedroom. She took the jacket under the arm and along the corridor separating her from the exit she dialled Tom's number; he didn't answer and Anna hung up worried. That same evening he would have come back from the mountain; they spoke in the afternoon, the next day they would have met to chat about their vacation, before the imminent re-enter to school. She began to write him a message, when the monster blocked her.

"Where are you going?!"

"Tom's place, he's coming to get me" she lied, heart pounding in the chest.

"You won't go anywhere!" it ordered, blocking the exit.

"It's not your business!" she brusquely answered, repenting immediately.

"Who do you think you are?!"

Anna understood things were getting very badly and tried to find an escape.

"I'm sorry, you're right. I shouldn't, but now let me go please" she implored it with broken voice.

"You understand nothing, 'cause you're nothing. You're here just to piss me off!" it screamed against her, more and more hysterical.

"You're right, I know. But please, let me go" she repeated shaking.

But it was too late.

It took her for an arm hurling her against the wall, Anna strongly slammed the head and fell down; the jacket and the rest of her things flew in the air, then they scattered on the floor.

The way down to the hell began.

Her head whirled round and round, reducing her perception of what was happening.

'Just as well' she thought,

'so fists and kicks hurt less.'

Back, arms and legs began to burn, to burn a lot. Screams were high but Anna could catch only a whisper; they were about her, it was still saying she was useless and it was annoyed to have her always around.

Opposing or escaping wasn't an option, she knew well; if she tried, the monster got angrier and also the fight lasted more.

In those endless moments she always thought to her mum.

'If it ends badly, at least I'll join you.'

That was her only consolation.

Then somewhere on the floor also his phone screamed and the monster distracted itself for a second; an interminable number of rings followed, it decided to leave.

Anna knew she hadn't to lose time and ran away. The monster had the habit to come back to the crime scene and it didn't want to see her there anymore, to avoid torments or regrets; when in the past the contrary happened, it got even more rabid and it hit her again.

She stood up leaning on the wall, she collected her things and exited. Outside it was very cold but she wasn't bothered.

'Instantaneous ice' she thought.

She arrived to her shelter and, with shaking hands, she opened and locked the door behind herself; the monster never came there but for precaution she turned off the light. Kelly recognized her master and didn't bark.