Chapter 5

Crash went for a walk after returning his family home. Everyone was worried about the island hero but none more so than Aku-Aku. Aku-Aku thought, 'They'll figure it out soon. The curse of this place shall forever haunt them both.' Crash walked all the way to Mt. Indigo, sensing something familiar about the tallest mountain in the Wumpa Islands. Of why, he had no clue. There was just...something about this place... He closed his eyes as he started to remember...

...

Back in London, Cortex also went for a walk. Since all of his family was gathered together (minus Nina, Gus, their daughter: Starlet, Cortex and Nacey's niece: Darla, and Nicholas), they were just trying to figure out where to go since they were all virtually wanted. His family was worried about him, with good reason. Cortex eventually found his way to his old elementary school, where he and his friends attended. He closed his eyes as he started to remember...

...

-Flashback: 'Crash Twin Sanity: One and a Half'-

After getting a beehive on his head, running from bees and a bear, Cortex was ready to give up. He was having a really bad day, especially teaming up with Crash to defeat those Evil Twins. Just who were they in the first place? Why did they want to destroy the islands? None of it made any sense and before Cortex could try to do something, he bumped into something soft.

Cortex saw the younger Pichu brother, Pete. Apparently the two were running together and into the soft belly of into Papu Papu, the leader of the Indian tribe. Papu Papu shook his head at them and his warriors captured the two of them. With that, the Indians took them back to the tribe. Crash saw that he was hiding in a bush with the older Pichu brother, John. Crash and John came out of the bush as Crash rolled his eyes at the whole thing.

"Oh man," groaned Crash, "This is not my day."

John knew that something was amiss and stated, "Hold up. I think something is rotten here. Back at the stadium, you couldn't stand Cortex. And now, you're acting like he's a friend. What's going on?"

Meanwhile, at the tribe, Cortex and Pete got tied up to a totem pole. The Indians walked off, leaving the two of them there.

Cortex told his young Pichu friend, "You don't want to know. Not that. You don't want to find out. It's none of your business."

Pete is shocked by this and started to say, "Now hold up. If you just want someone to help you battle you got another..."

Crash interrupted, "Thing coming?" John looked surprised as Crash added, "You talk like Nacey does."

John perked up and asked, "Who is that? And what does she have to do with what's going on?"

Cortex sighed out of annoyance and asked, "You're not going to let it go are you?"

Pete shook his head and answered, "Nope. Consider me very interested."

Crash finally gave in and told John, "All right. I'll tell you - only if you don't tell your brother or Cortex that I told you."

Pete responded, "This must be big."

Cortex answered, "More than you'll ever know. It was a long time ago. I had just hired N. Brio to be my right hand man. That was a day I'll never forget nor regret. That was the day I created Crash."

John asked, "How did you get your name?"

Crash answered, smiling a bit, "I crashed into Cortex's supplies when he enhanced me."

Pete stated, "Wait. Let me guess. You became quick friends."

Cortex nodded and responded, "Yes but we also became quick enemies."

John asked, "What do you mean?"

Crash explained, "Well, the night Nacey came-that's Cortex's sister, came to see him with Nina, Render came up with a plan to get rid of me, get Cortex out of the way and take command of the army."

Pete asked, "So, what did he do?"

Cortex answered, "He set me up to make Crash listen to my rant about my take over the world plan and then he told Tawna."

John asked, raising an eyebrow, "Who's that?"

Crash answered, "Pinstripe's girlfriend and now his wife. I didn't know that. Anyways, when Pinstripe tackled me and shot Cortex in the arm and then threw me out the window, Render took over. He then put Nacey, Cortex, and Nina in the dungeon."

Pete asked, curious, "So, what happened after that?"

Cortex answered, "Well, we all thought Crash was dead until we heard news that Papua was defeated by a bandicoot."

John pointed at Crash and said, "You."

Crash nodded and responded, "Right. Then, Render sent everyone to slow me down."

Pete stated, "So, one thing led to another."

Cortex responded, "Basically, yes."

John told Crash, "That explains a lot."

Crash nodded and told John, "I know. You just remember to keep your promise."

John and Pete promised, in unison, "I will."

-End of Flashback-

...

Crash and Cortex's eyes went wide as they both brought out a picture that they didn't know that they had. Crash had Cortex's picture and Cortex had Crash's picture. Each side read:'Best friends til the end of time'.

"My best friend," Crash and Cortex both breathed, in a bit of shock.

They knew now their connection but how in the world did they drift apart? Why did they drift? And what in the world happened?

"Come back, Cortex," Crash whispered.

Cortex could've sworn that he heard Crash just then as he immediately knew what he had to do. He had to find his best friend. No matter what the odds.

"Ladies and gentlemen..." He whispered to his empty elementary school, "I am going home to see my best friend...Crash Bandicoot..."

...

Wishmaker1028: Things are getting interesting for sure. Don't worry, I haven't forgotten our favorite Pichu brothers. They are coming! For now, please read and review! And always think outside of the box!