Brand

A/N: Review your thoughts please^ If you see ANY mistakes tell meee!
I do not own the Red Queen series...unfortunately.

______________

I wake up to soft sunlight spilling through the window and onto the bed, my lightning scars hurting. The ridges run from the side of my neck to my lower back, a few treadles trailing around my side. I rub them gently, tracing them with a bloody, nail bitten finger. It relieves the sensations temporarily, but it is something I can deal with.

Physically I am healed. Mentally is a different case. I hate to admit it but any tingly sensation leaves me scared and uncomfortable, the lasting effects of what the Clicker has done to me. It reminds me of the electricity that racked my body and left my nerves frayed. With time I may heal, but time is not something I have. Not only do I not know my punishments, but the date I am subjected to them is also unknown. Any hour of the day they could come in and take me away. I shiver thinking about it, turning away from the bright window.

The Arvens stand guard outside, as silent as their powers. They do not move unless they are switching shifts and they do not speak at all.

I think it's ironic how I have three or more Arvens with me at all times, but I am the loneliest I have ever been.

I am surrounded by dangerous people, but the thing most likely to kill me is my mind.

It swirls with conflicting thoughts. Maven seems to hate me, torturing me and enjoying my suffering.
On the other hand, he gives me a large, spacious room (although I am certain he did it to taunt me).

Then, there's the kiss. He did it forcefully, without my consent. It was cold and awkward, my lips still and unmoving as his did the opposite. My lips are chapped from days on the run while his are soft from his pampered life. No matter how much I made it clear I had not wanted him there (much less forcing himself on me) he persisted. Maven seemed to revel in my discomfort, making him more than satisfied.

I push the thoughts away as the door opens. Before they see me I pull the covers up and close my eyes, attempting to slow my breaths.

I do not hear any movement, but somehow the person had managed to make it to my bedside without a sound. Either the room is too quiet or they're too close because I can faintly hear their heart beat. It is calm and steady and I can feel myself being lured to sleep.

'Stay awake,' my logical side of the brain screams. 'You don't know who this is!'

But I ignore it blissfully and unwillingly, the thought of peace drawing me in.

That is, until I feel the familiar metal bracelet brush my face. It is cold and smooth, the side rubbing against my face as they tuck stray hairs behind my ear.

It clears my head and scares me awake. I begin to think carefully. The only person that would be allowed to see me alone and wears a metal bracelet is Maven. Of course.

I stop my eyes from flashing open, instead focusing on steadying my overreacting heart. I could stay still and listen for any valuable information, or I could move away from him.

The first option is the logical choice but I can't help but want to get away from his cold touch. However, I lay there and let him watch me. Every once in awhile he'll fix my hair and I'll have to suppress a shiver of disgust.

Maven pulls a chair over to the side, the ends scrapping the floor. Its a loud and unexpected sound, making me jump slightly. Shit. I hope he didn't see it.

For thirty minutes we sit in silence, only the soft sounds of our breaths and heartbeats interrupting it.

I'm starting to wonder if he's still here and I contemplate opening up one eye to see. I know I can't, but it's very unsettling when he doesn't make a sound.
Questions fill my mind as I lay there quietly Why is he sitting in here, how does he have time? What about his meetings?