The Maid's Song

I do not own the Red Queen series.

_____________________

His hand wraps around my wrist, across my brand. I wait patiently for his response, and when it comes I want to scream.

"You're complete and utter devotion."

I force myself not to move out of his grip. I needed time to think this through and assess what my actions would lead to.

"Devotion to what, exactly?" I question, trying to buy some time.

"Tsk, tsk," Maven scolds. "Don't play dumb. You are well aware of what I want."

I say nothing, which prompted him to jab at me.

"I didn't know the death of your sister had affected you so much," he points out slyly. I glare at him, the mention of Gisa bringing back memories of her supposed death.

He laughs before continuing.

"Here, I'll elaborate for you. I want you willing. Willing to take my love, and to give it back without hesitation."

I scoff internally. Love? We both have completly different definitions of love, and his is not especially pleasant.

"You will act as my wife, however you will never hold that title. You lost your chance when you chose my horrid brother." He spits out as if it's poison.

My eyes widen as I realize that this is what Jon wrote about in the note. I am supposed to make Maven think that I've broken and excepted that I am his. But, that came after someone tried to save me. Am I supposed to turn down his deal now? Will he propse it later, after someone tries to get me?

Sighing, I close my eyes. To him it looks like I'm thinking about his deal and if I should say yes or no, when in reality I'm debating when to say yes.

I have to say yes. Agreeing to be his will further allow me to gain his trust, the safety of the Guard and my family being a bonus.

Pretending to be flustered, I whisper quietly.

"C-can I have more time? I need to think about this."

I stare into the deceitful depths of blue, urging him to see my confusion and innocence. For a moment, I see a flash of the old Maven. His eyes warmed and his gaze softened, a look that would make any Silver girl melt. It's gone within a second, and I realize I will never fully see the Maven I knew. Its only a small piece of him, and it is hiden deep in his heart.

Back again is the monster, the cold-blooded king. He stands up slowly, watching me the entire time. Pondering my question, he finally answers.

"Three days," he says. We look at each other, trying to figure out what the other person is thinking. I try to convey a sad, pathetic look, but that causes him to look at me suspiciously.

Note to self, become pathetic gradually. He gives me a look over once more before starting toward the door.

He steps out, turning back to say one more thing.

"I'll send Wren in to heal you. We can't have you complaining about wounds when you have something much more important to think about."

My eyebrows raise in shock, causing Maven to smile slightly. As I begin an awkward thank you, he's already gone.

_________________________

I stretch my back, laying on the floor. Sunlight fliters through the window, shining onto the spot next to me. I run my hand through it, convincing myself that I can feel the difference between the room and sunlight.