Chapter 2: Secrets

I still pondered over what Emily meant back at the park.

Dad, who has been a friend of Mrs. James for a long time since we moved here, said probably they were moving to Florida after Mr. James left the family.

It's going to be a travesty to watch the Jameses go after the good things they have done to me.

I tried to visit the house across the street but only Mrs. James would say Emily's not in.

I wondered if Emily had something she had to hide from me. She never kept anything from me. I slowly watched the house across the street, and looked at the silhouettes communicating with each other.

If Emily had a secret from me, then it must've been really confidential.

Mum sighed from the counter. "Alice, I'm sure Emily really needed her personal space. She's not gonna spend time with you all the time, honey."

"But she does, mum," I argued, "plus Emily doesn't keep secrets. She's just the type of person who tells secrets and trusts people."

Mum didn't say a word and continued chopping the garlic.

I felt angry in the inside, so I decided to walk in the garden. My sneakers were soaking with wetness from the dew.

Suddenly I heard faint screaming. The silhouettes from the house across the street were speaking at each other in frustration. I narrowed my eyes.

What was going on?

Curious, I crossed the street and hid in one of the bushes. I could make out some of the words.

"No, Emily... What? Oh hell, that won't happen!"

"Mum! I don't want... No!"

What was it that Emily didn't want?

She was already contented with her life, despite the fact she was branded as the neighborhood weirdo.

I didn't want to hear more after I heard a glass break followed by a male voice that could've been Louis commanding to stop.

I slowly walked across the road back to my own house, spooked and mystified on what would happen next.