Chapter 3: The Mystery

I tossed and turned in my bed last night, trying to believe that nightmares aren't real.

It was still dark out. Mum and Dad must be in bed by now, but I'm having a hard time sleeping. I tried to understand what was going on.

***
The next morning I went downstairs, still feeling tired and sleepy from my restless night. But then I saw Mum, Dad and Mrs. James sitting all together at the kitchen table, and my weariness stopped.

"Uh, what's going on?" I asked meekly but curiously.

"Oh, Alice, dear," started Mum, "Mrs. James has very bad news for us."

I perked up.

"Emily has disappeared last night," explained Mrs. James, eyes wet. "We haven't heard or seen a trace from her. I'm so, terribly sad."

I didn't have the urge to gasp. Emily's... gone?

"How... That's impossible!" I shrieked all of a sudden. "Emily wouldn't do such a thing...."

My voice trailed off. I began to realize what Emily meant back at the park.

She was gone.

No where.

Mrs. James sighed. "I wish she could come back," she said softly, "but it seems like she's grown up. Wants to be on her own. Wants to explore for herself."

"Alice, have you seen Emily the past days?" asked Mum.

"Yesterday, at the park," I replied immediately. "She gave me an old notebook."

"We might just as solve the case with the police," said Dad, trying to comfort Mrs. James. "We'll give you everything we know."

Mrs. James nodded and decided to stay for breakfast.

"Alice, mind if you join us?" asked Dad.

I quickly replied, "No." then I headed for my bedroom, and opened the secret box where I kept the old notebook Emily gave me.

If Emily was gone, she would've given me a sign.
If she wanted me to find her, I will.