Chapter 9: Finding Emily

At four o'clock at the dot, Emma and I went to the Jameses' house where we would spend the night before we leave for Cape Cod. ("Yeah, Mum, just going over to the Jameses'. And then Louis will take us to his uncle's house." I had said to Mum earlier when she asked where we were going. Mum looked suspicious, but believed us.)

Louis immediately opened the door before we could knock. "I saw you guys at the window," he said. "Told Mother about our plan, and she actually agreed. Probably wants us to find Emily as soon as possible."

We settled down in Louis's bedroom where we spread out the clues we found the other day. "Cape Cod is about 5 miles west from us, so probably we should take the airplane." said Emma, chewing contentedly on a chocolate bar. "Mummy brought me and my friends there when I was eight."

"Okay, then," I said, not wanting to hear more of Emma's goody-two-shoes friends. "We'll take the plane. Do you have a passport?"

"Yeah."

"And pocket money?"

"Here," Louis said, bringing out his wallet. "One hundred-dollars must be enough. Just bring some pennies in case."

Later after packing our things, we decided to stay in the warehouse. Emma got pretty spooked about staying at the warehouse, especially since she accidentally hit her knee on the trapdoor and almost fell in.

We stayed inside the old office room, and we'd made ourselves a bed with some cushions and blankets and a bulletin board for all of our finds.

"Will we even find Emily, Louis?" I asked anxiously, watching Emma look at the books on the dusted shelf. "What if all of it lead to... Nothing? What if she doesn't want to be found?"

Louis sighed. "I've been thinking about the same thing too, Alice." he brushed my cheek. "But look at it, Alice, why do you think she gave out hints to you at the park that she was leaving? Why did she give you the notebook?" he kissed my forehead. "Because she wants you to find her. Not our mother, not anyone, but you."

"And with two sidekicks," I added.

Louis laughed.

"If Emily wants to be found, it'll be us. The world will always be according to her."